Seven years ago in November 2003, I began my online networking exploration on Ryze, a new social web site which was, along with LinkedIn, one of the first social networking and business networking sites.
It wasn’t until 2006, after I’d already joined a number of additional social networking websites, that I learned that these sites were the precursors of a much larger social media phenomenon. I also learned about the importance of blogs, explained by Darren Rouse in his video which I embedded in Not Ready for Social Media Marketing.
I launched this blog, Online Social Networking, in November 2007, and yes, I am celebrating my third blogiversary.
Building My Social Media and Web Presence
Here is a list of my 10 top strategies for building my social media and web presence:
- Partnership - Building relationships though blogging, online social networking and social bookmarking sites.
- Content - Writing and publishing well thought-out and occasionally useful articles on my two blogs.
- Search Engine Optimization - Ongoing keyword research and SEO. 50% of all my web site traffic comes directly from search engines.
- Diversification - Creating a presence on diverse social media sites and cultivating diverse web site traffic sources.
- Innovation - Experimenting with many ideas, some work out and others flop, while resisting any urges to follow the crowd.
- Boldness - Haven’t been afraid to test the limits of social websites and social media strategies. Twitter removed @larrybrauner from their search results, Sphinn terminated my account, and Facebook sends me sweet little love messages when I become more ambitious than they like. All I can say is, “C’est la vie.” Meekness isn’t a good quality in a marketer.
- Planning - Always researching and frequently reevaluating and refining my web marketing and branding plan. Flexibility must accompany social media and web marketing planning.
- Attitude - Persevering, staying upbeat and focusing, even when I didn’t feel like it, such as when my Dad passed away last year, or when my search engine traffic dipped during this past summer.
- Tools - Taking advantage of a variety of social media, SEO and web analytics tools.
- Widgets - Integrating social media with my blogs through using website widgets.
Thank you for partnering with me and helping me all these years with my social media and web marketing efforts.
Share Your Social Media Strategies
What are your most successful strategies for building your social media and web presence?
|Did you enjoy this article? Subscribe to my RSS feed or by e-mail. Visit my About, Services, Media Buzz and Connect pages to learn about Building Your Audience and Brand on the Web. See also my Disclosure Policy regarding affiliations and compensation.|
|Sharing is Caring! Please use the SHARE widget.|