Critical Success Factors
With 2008 right around the corner let me share some simple strategies that can help turbo charge your personal development in the New Year.
Each idea stands alone. Use one or use them all. Add your comments to this post to share your own personal insights and success tips.
- Power down your computer. Take a break. Stop e-mailing and messaging. Tackle the important things waiting for you offline. Meet with people. Make important phone calls. Get some exercise.
- Prioritize. Before you go to bed ask yourself, “What can I do tomorrow that will take my business or personal life forward?” Write six or more things you can accomplish the next day on an index card and rank them in order of importance. The following day get the top six things done in the order of importance. Follow this formula for 30 days, and you’ll be amazed at what you can achieve.
- Acquire mentors. The most successful people know better than to go it alone. Be willing to accept advice, to stretch and to change. Your mentors might coach you one-on-one, in a group, or through their speaking or writing. Like a computer you need good programming and input to produce good output. I have several mentors and advisors including more than one close friend and a senior manager at the corporation where I work.
- Meet new people online and offline and really get to know them.
- Profit in the margins. Supposing you earn $60,000 per year which is $5,000 per month. If you can increase your earnings or cut your expenses by $250 per month that would reflect 5% of your income. However if your current savings or disposable income is $500 per month, the additional $250 would give you 50% more to work with. You can save it, pay down credit cards, or buy a new outfit.
- Start a home business, a sensible one, to increase your income. Choose a mentor to guide you and help you. You can only work so many jobs, so you need a way to leverage your time. As your business grows, so will the leverage it affords you. But beware. Before you start a home business you ought to read Home Based Businesses Don’t Work and The Darker Side of Funded Proposals.
- Exercise moderately almost every day. It is so easy to get busy and push it off. I’m adding walking to my daily list of priorities effective immediately.
- Be grateful for all the good in your life. Don’t let unfulfilled desires negate all the good. If you are reading this post, be grateful that you can. Take a deep breath right now and appreciate that you are alive. I appreciate you!
- Praise the people in your life. They need it. They crave it. Don’t criticize. Spread around more of your love, and it will come back to you with interest.
- Give to charity, a little or a lot according to your means. It will help you as much as it helps the receiver.
|Did you enjoy this article? Subscribe to my RSS feed or by e-mail. Visit my About, Services, Media Buzz and Connect pages to learn about Building Your Audience and Brand on the Web. See also my Disclosure Policy regarding affiliations and compensation.|
|Sharing is Caring!|