Larry BraunerSocial networking sites have each a unique protocol and don’t usually provide members with practical how-to advice to help use their sites effectively. They let us figure out the how-tos on our own.

I share in this article my basic LinkedIn how-tos that may shorten your learning curve and save you time and frustration. They are merely suggestions, not rigid guidelines. If you have an idea or advice you find helpful, please share it with us in a comment.

LinkedInHere are ten tips for maximizing your LinkedIn social networking success:

1. Your LinkedIn profile is your resume. Put at least as much effort into creating and perfecting your profile as you would your resume.
  2. SEO can help you to be findable on LinkedIn, as well as other social networking sites. Employ keywords that are relevant to your work when crafting your profile, so that you and your profile can appear in search results.
  3. LinkedIn permits members to view profiles of other members within three degrees of separation from each other or who share common LinkedIn groups. Increasing your visibility increases your reach.
  4. To increase your vertical reach (in your areas of interest), join every relevant LinkedIn group. To increase your horizontal (i.e. overall) reach, increase your number of LinkedIn connections. I invite you to connect with me on LinkedIn!
  5. To increase your number of connections, connect directly to as many other members as you can, especially well connected members. You can send direct connections messages or emails whenever you wish.
  6. Don’t invite people to connect haphazardly, as LinkedIn will restrict you if people you invite complain that they don’t know you (as they sometimes do). Instead, join LinkedIn open networker groups, such as Top Linked, for people who welcome (but don’t necessarily accept) all connection requests. Reach out to fellow group members, and be receptive to members who reach out to you.
  7. Join discussions in groups by posting or commenting when you have something valuable to add, but don’t spam the discussion board or post anything inappropriate.
  8. Tell new connections you’re on Facebook (if you are) when thanking them for connecting. Facebook has made it hard to add friends, so this tactic is useful. (See 3 Key Social Media and Web Marketing Strategies for 2011: Good-Bye Facebook Open Networking.)
  9. Provide your Twitter handle (if you have one) where requested by LinkedIn to appear in your LinkedIn profile.
  10. Keep at it. It takes a very substantial amount of time to build a strong presence on LinkedIn or any of the other social networking sites.

Happy linking!

Please subscribe and leave me a comment. :)

Sharing is Caring! Use the handy SHARE widget.

Tags: , , , ,

Comments

It will look like this: 10 Tips for LinkedIn Social Networking

21 Responses to “10 Tips for LinkedIn Social Networking”

1. Lorraine Arams on January 23rd, 2011 9:03 pm

Learned something new once again, Larry! Thank you!

2. Jack Goldenberg on January 23rd, 2011 10:34 pm

This is a great blog and tremendously helpful to anyone who wants to develop their influence and exposure on LinkedIn. When joining the group Top Linked, as Larry suggested, some of the boxes, by default, are already checked in for you.

But don’t overlook checking some of the boxes that need your acknowledgement before they’ll follow thru with the suggested activity

I also checked:
    * Send an e-mail for each new discussion (You can always opt out, but being part of discussions is an effective way to learn about your profession and a great way to impress potential connections that you’re someone worth Linking up with.)
    * Send me group announcements once a week. (Again, you can always opt out, but it might be worth a try.)
    * Allow members of the group to send me messages. (Why wouldn’t you want to do that? Obviously, it’s your call, but in my opinion, if you don’t want to contacted then you should have joined LinkedOut!)

3. Adrian Montgomery on January 24th, 2011 1:35 pm

GREAT ARTICLE!

THANKS!

4. John on January 24th, 2011 8:04 pm

I have a LinkedIn account but I barely use it because I am not sure how to utilize it effectively. This is why I didn’t know your LinkedIn profile can show up in the search results. Thanks for the tip on joining LinkedIn open networker groups like Top Linked to increase my number of connections. Thanks as always for the advice Larry.

5. Lakshmi - Virtual assistant on January 24th, 2011 11:02 pm

Hi,

I feel that social media is an effective option for connecting with potential customers. It is certainly here to stay. We have got many new small business clients who use it.

Thanks for showing us one more way to get connected with our customers.

Lakshmi

6. Web Design Company Mumbai on January 25th, 2011 1:19 am

You have really put the information in such a way that it is easy to understand and also implement.

7. C.A.T. on January 25th, 2011 1:36 am

I haven’t made much use of social networking sites till now. I’m considering to start with them, and maybe I could start with LinkedIn. Thanks for the tips.

8. Larry Brauner on January 25th, 2011 11:36 am

I thank everybody for commenting. :)

Based on the response I’ve received to this article, here and on Facebook, I’ve decided to write more articles about LinkedIn and much more about using other social networking sites, such as Facebook and Ning.

I invite you to join me on my own Small Business Network Ning social networking site.

9. Nancy Radlinger on January 27th, 2011 4:39 am

I really like Linkedin and have met many wonderful people on there - great source for letting know people about you and what you do - I love meeting new people and helping others.

Nancy
    Skype: nancyradlinger

10. Internet marketing Manchester on January 28th, 2011 10:18 am

Now social networking is one of the most popular internet marketing techniques for website traffic generation, because people pass most of their personal time in various social media and networking sites for collaborating with friends & family. This blog post is outstanding for gaining maximum outcomes from LinkedIn social networking campaign.

11. 16 Tips for Using Ning Social Networking Sites | Online Social Networking on January 31st, 2011 1:13 am

[…] 10 Tips for LinkedIn Social Networking […]

12. Cherry Rahtu on February 11th, 2011 5:11 am

Hi Larry, what do you think about LinkedIn Signal? i think it brings LinkedIn social networking to the next level, very powerful.

13. Larry Brauner on February 11th, 2011 9:36 am

Hi Cherry,

I think LinkedIn Signal is an excellent tool.

Please see my November 7 article, LinkedIn Signal New Twitter Business Search Engine.

14. Melanie Schroeder on February 27th, 2011 10:45 am

Thanks Larry!

This is a great way to get started and create a solid base.

If you already have some connections don’t forget to get and give some recommendations as well.

If you are into video you can even leave them in a video format which is even more powerful!

Keep up the great information!
    Melanie

15. 22 Business Networking Tips | Online Social Networking on May 1st, 2011 9:08 pm

[…] recently revealed my top 10 Tips for LinkedIn Social Networking and 16 Tips for Ning Social […]

16. Des Walsh on May 17th, 2011 3:54 pm

Great list Larry. One thing I would add, not necessarily to the list but as a footnote, is that if you want people to connect with you, take the trouble to write a personal note, which might at least show you have read their profile. I have lost count of the number of people, completely unknown to me, who have over the years wasted their time and mine sending those boilerplate “Join my professional network…” “invitations”. If it’s to stay a *professional* network, not a name collection game, let’s be professional in our invitations. My two cents.

17. 18 Articles Help You Master LinkedIn Strategy and Technique | Online Social Networking on May 22nd, 2011 10:19 pm

[…] By maintaining a business focus, LinkedIn’s growth could persist unhampered by that of its social networking counterpart. For this reason, many articles have been written of late presenting strategies and techniques to maximize LinkedIn effectiveness, including my own 10 Tips for LinkedIn Social Networking. […]

18. 10 Tips for Inviting to Facebook Events | Online Social Networking on September 11th, 2011 10:32 pm

[…] Promote your event on your blog and on social media sites such as Twitter, Google+ and LinkedIn. […]

19. Paul Sloane on November 4th, 2011 12:07 pm

Larry - A nice article but particularly a big thankyou for the tip about the “open networker groups.” Paul

20. Rita Cox on November 29th, 2011 7:20 am

I agree about “vertical reach” but found by joining a lot of groups I got pestered for quite a few things unrelated to my field of expertise.

21. Sophia Mendrez on February 21st, 2012 6:48 pm

These are really simple but effective tips to use linked for social networking. It is such an amazing platform that can offer more to its members and users.