Larry BraunerI recently discussed Facebook Groups as Alternatives to Ning Sites from a group creator’s vantage point. Here I look at ways you can get the most out of your Facebook Groups from a general member’s point of view.

Facebook groups are great for meeting new people and sharing your ideas and content. Facebook groups can also help you brand yourself if you use them right.

Facebook

Following are 10 tips for maximizing your Facebook groups participation:

1. Join Facebook groups with the intention of gaining the maximum possible benefit from each group. Do not just click “Join” merely to display interest in a subject or cause.
  2. Be prepared to give at least as much to the group as you receive, and in the end you’ll probably receive more than you gave.
  3. Abide by each group’s preferences. Look to see whether discussion is taking place on a group’s Wall or on its Discussion Tab.
  4. Visit your Facebook groups frequently, as your groups’ updates don’t appear in your news feed and may have insufficient EdgeRank to be appear if and when Facebook allows group content to show up in news feeds.
  5. Comment on your groups’ updates and join the conversation. You may disagree with another member’s content or opinion, but please, exercise restraint and comment with respect for that person and the group. Sometimes it may be better to send a private message rather than discuss a delicate or personal matter in public.
  6. Add new content to your Facebook groups that will interest other members and stimulate conversation. Include your personal take on the content.
  7. Post your own content if it’s relevant, but don’t post your content exclusively, and be very careful not to spam the group.
  8. Invite your friends to join the Facebook groups you belong to. Use your Wall, a group’s “Invite People to Join” link or private messages. However, only extend appropriate direct invitations. I’ve been extra careful when inviting people to join the Fabulous Baby Boomers Facebook group, because I don’t want to insult them in case they’re too young to be boomers.
  9. Invite group members to be Facebook friends if and when it seems like a good idea. In the invite message, remind them how you know them.
  10. Expect to receive bulletins from your Facebook groups. If your groups hold a Facebook Event or even an off-site event, do your best to participate.

These are Facebook groups I’ve created:

• Fabulous Baby Boomers - I’m a Baby Boomer. I admit it. This Facebook group is recommended for people who were born between 1943 and 1964 — or who wish they had been. Join us for a good mixture of fun and business.
  • Enterprising Business Leaders - This Facebook group is for entrepreneurs and business leaders from all business sectors including not-for-profit.
  • Social Media Enthusiasts - This Facebook group is for social media evangelists and enthusiasts at all levels of experience and skill.

Once again, if you have or will have a Facebook group, tell us about it in a comment below. You can also share whatever else you desire. ;-)

Oh, and before I forget, my new blog, Optimize Your Web Presence, is already up and running. :-D

Tags: ,

Comments

It will look like this: 10 Tips for Maximizing Facebook Groups

26 Responses to “10 Tips for Maximizing Facebook Groups”

1. Warren Contreras on June 27th, 2010 6:26 pm

This is very timely for me, I just decided to set up a new Facebook page and try to get more active. I sent you a request to join your Social Networking Group and hope to learn more.

2. Mirdza on June 27th, 2010 8:13 pm

Great article!! It truly is important to participate in the groups we join, and it’s important to add good content to the groups we create ourselves. It’s also important to send a message to all members on a weekly or monthly basis to keep them involved in the group.

Personally, I have groups on Facebook that are all about fitness and health, since that is my passion. One of them is called Fit and Healthy for Life and I send out the fitness tip of the week on Sunday or Monday to all members.

I also have a fitness group for Christians called Healthy to the Glory of God, a group for those who are looking to get fit and make a business out of it, and a group that supports those that are on my Young Living team. I love it!! I post new relevant content all the time.

I love staying involved since I love encouraging and helping people all around the world to get fit and healthy for life.

3. Larry Brauner on June 27th, 2010 8:29 pm

Thank you Mirdza.

If you’re interested in fitness, you can join Mirdza’s group, Fit and Healthy for Life.

4. Cherry Rahtu on June 27th, 2010 9:55 pm

Hi Larry, Yes, I have a Facebook group with over 2600 members - Small business on the web. ;)

Are you able to invite me to your new group? Because I couldn’t join more.

Thanks Larry.

5. Chris Janssen on June 27th, 2010 10:04 pm

Larry-

Very useful information. I ran a network on Ryze for years that was very successful, but I found there as well that the vast majority of people would join and then just lurk. Those that contributed got a lot of good from the interaction. I guess I never did understand why someone would bother to join a group and then not contribute. I guess that is human nature for you. :)

Since that point we have disbanded the Ryze network and made an attempt to move over to a group over at Facebook, but have yet for it to really catch on like the Ryze network did.

6. Larry Brauner on June 27th, 2010 11:40 pm

@Cherry I can’t invite you because your friends are maxed out, and you need to be a friend for me to invite you.

@Chris If you want, you can share your group here.

7. Carla J Gardiner on June 28th, 2010 11:41 am

Thank you Larry. You always bring such good and timely information to us. This was especially good for me.

I must admit to you and myself…I was guilty of being one who just clicked. Now, I know what I must do…clean out my groups, get rid of ones I’m not interested in and get busy participating in the ones I am.

The way you present this information is received in a teaching manner and not a negative manner at all,,,thank you!

Carla J Gardiner
    CarlaJGardiner.com

8. Larry Brauner on June 28th, 2010 3:45 pm

Carla,

Hope you won’t be unjoining any of my groups. ;-)

9. Robin on June 28th, 2010 4:14 pm

Hi Larry!

Great advice- now I just need another 4 hours a day! LOL

10. Larry Brauner on June 28th, 2010 4:18 pm

You’re exaggerating Robin. Three more hours a day should be enough. LOL

11. Dave Lucas on June 29th, 2010 9:47 am

I’ve stopped accepting Friend Requests via Facebook, after it became apparent some individuals were phishing for information, while other people who are actual friends of mine, compromised my Facebook account because they were hosting a “parasite” who was trying to extract information about myself and other friends using the service.

12. Anne Force on June 29th, 2010 1:47 pm

Good points Larry. I have a question. How does one prevent getting overwhelmed with social contacts? This is perhaps the biggest reason that I haven’t engaged more in social media sites. I am part of other types of business networking sites like Swom and keeping pace with various skype room chat groups and forums. I can hardly keep pace with it all. I guess one has to prioritize where to engage one’s time and energy, but any thoughts you might have on this would be great.

13. Larry Brauner on June 29th, 2010 2:19 pm

I strongly agree Anne that prioritization is key. A while back I addressed the issue in The 80/20 Rule and in The 80/20 Rule and Social Media.

In social media marketing, your prioritization needs to be based on your overall marketing strategy. Don’t let tactics drive strategy. Strategy must precede tactics.

14. sg Michael on June 30th, 2010 3:07 am

Thanks for the nice tips on Facebook!

15. Ask ve sevgi on June 30th, 2010 5:45 pm

Thanks for the nice tips on Facebook!

16. Alex Posicionamiento Web on July 1st, 2010 1:38 am

There are millions or even billions of people who are using Facebook and all of them have the same or different interests. In creating a group in Facebook, you will be able to filter which group of people have the same interest. This article will even make it better since it will allow you to give a better preview and introduction to the group that you will create in Facebook. This is a really good help for people who are making groups in Facebook.

Keep it up!

Alex

17. Service Markets Business Networking Sites, Groups and Events on July 4th, 2010 7:05 pm

[…] expertise, influence and traffic are nearly a perfect fit for marketing business networking sites, groups and events, something that I’ve in fact thought about in passing […]

18. Social Convergence and the Enterprise at NYU on July 21 on July 13th, 2010 5:45 pm

[…] to be a roundtable moderator, and my topic is: “How Should the Enterprise Be Integrated on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Other Social […]

19. Bombas de AGUA on April 21st, 2011 11:04 pm

How can you use Facebook groups for SEO?

20. Larry Brauner on April 21st, 2011 11:18 pm

Facebook groups offer little benefit to you SEO.

21. Diseño Web Empresas on May 11th, 2011 4:39 pm

There are so many people trying to monetize non-interesting sites, non-interesting content, that everything is becoming spam and most people spammy.

I don’t beleive in another strategy but to create great content and create great content. The rest will follow on…

Regards.

22. diane on May 18th, 2011 5:42 am

Nice tips for maximizing groups in Facebook. Thanks!

23. Johann - Abogados en Quito on May 29th, 2011 3:17 pm

I think some features of Facebook groups are not the same; now you can´t send emails to your group members.

Maybe its better build a like page, more viral.

Thank you!

24. buffalo graphic design on October 19th, 2011 12:43 am

Facebook groups iare an avenue to converge and reconnect people.. to do well and be on top of what the group needs is one of the priorities to keep it active.

25. Ivan - Comunidad Beta on January 1st, 2012 9:13 pm

I’ll take good advice out step by step thanks :)

26. Francisco | comida quemagrasa on February 21st, 2013 3:29 pm