To what extent do you benefit from social bookmarking sites in your social media projects?
Paul Chaney, author of The Digital Handshake, reveals in his recent article, Social bookmarking’s place in the marketing spectrum, that surprisingly few social media marketers understand and use social bookmarking sites.
Social media practitioners seem to be unaware that social bookmarking sites can send traffic and help them make important connections, and they also seem to be unclear about how social bookmarking sites really work.
I myself only dabbled in social bookmarking until recently. I submitted my own articles exclusively to a variety of social bookmarking sites and gained very little benefit from my efforts.
Using Social Bookmarking Sites Effectively
In December, I joined Business Week’s Business Exchange and adopted a very social and spam-free strategy. In 12 Tips for Using Business Week’s Social Bookmarking Site, I detailed the approach that I had developed for using Business Exchange. This approach has since served as a prototype my use of other social bookmarking sites as well.
Thanks to my change of strategy, I now receive nearly 1,000 visits per month to my blog from social bookmarking sites, and the number of visits keeps growing. I’ve also met some wonderful people.
The following are 10 tips for using social bookmarking sites effectively:
- Focus on a small number of social bookmarking sites. Don’t take on more sites than you can easily manage.
- Look for social bookmarking sites that are appropriate for your particular niche.
- Bookmark only high-quality relevant content that’s genuinely worth sharing with other site members.
- Don’t bookmark only your own content, since doing so is spammy.
- Always be on the lookout for additional content to share.
- Bookmark frequently enough that fellow members can get to know you.
- Look for opportunities to engage and help other members both on and off the social bookmarking site.
- Abide by the policies and norms specific to each of social bookmarking sites you join. Take the time to learn how to use each site by reading articles and watching what others are doing. When in Rome, do as the Romans do.
- Help grow each of your favorite social bookmarking sites by inviting your friends and colleagues to become members.
- Be patient. Make adjustments as necessary. Rome wasn’t build in a day. (You probably didn’t realize that the Romans even used social bookmarking sites.)
My Favorite Social Bookmarking Sites
I invite you to join the social bookmarking sites where I’m currently active:
- Business Exchange - As the name implies, this social bookmarking site is business oriented. It attracts high caliber business users and members of the info elite. I believe that site improvements are on the drawing board or underway.
- StumbleUpon - This site is suitable for all niches. To use it, you need to download and install the StumbleUpon toolbar.
- Amplify - This site is also for everybody and is a good syndication site too. Download and install the Amplify bookmarklet for easy bookmarking.
I also invite you to subscribe to my blog and to share your thoughts about social bookmarking sites in the comment area below.
|Did you enjoy this article? Subscribe to my RSS feed or by e-mail. Visit my About, Services, Media Buzz and Connect pages to learn about Building Your Audience and Brand on the Web. See also my Disclosure Policy regarding affiliations and compensation.|
|Sharing is Caring!|