What is Twitter?

Twitter may very well be the hottest online social media venue today. It’s a social network, micro-blog, instant messenger, mobile communications tool and giant party — all rolled into one site.

Twitter is a great branding and marketing resource with the potential to reach thousands of people. I myself am a very enthusiastic Twitter user.

Originally Twitter entries were status updates that answered the simple question, “What are you doing?”

Twitter has evolved over time, and members now post all sorts of short messages which we affectionately refer to as “tweets”.

How short is short?

There is a strict 140 character limit so members can tweet via text messaging wherever they happen to be at the time.

If you’re on Twitter and want people to “follow you”, write a comment below explaining briefly why you like Twitter and including your Twitter link.

Twitter Training

I found a three-hour course that fully answers the question, “What is Twitter?” and goes step-by-step through complete Twitter setup and usage.

There are also extensive interviews with Warren Whitlock and Deborah Micek, authors of Twitter Revolution: How Social Media and Mobile Marketing is Changing the Way We Do Business & Market Online, who provide many useful Twitter tips.

Affiliate University

The Twitter course is being offered by Affiliate University as a free sample of their social and search engine marketing training which was designed primarily for novice Internet marketers and more seasoned marketers who want to increase their skill set.

Affiliate marketing, referring customers to others’ websites in order to earn commissions, is a great way to develop multiple income streams, create passive residual income, and generate leads for nearly any type of business from mortgages and real estate to network marketing.

It isn’t very difficult to get started in affiliate marketing. Having your own website isn’t required, but if you have a website or blog, that’s a big plus.

Affiliate University teaches the necessary concepts and techniques in a structured and easy to follow format.

Founder Bill Hibbler is a successful Internet marketer and an excellent instructor. Bill along with Joe Vitale is co-author of Meet and Grow Rich: How to Easily Create and Operate Your Own “Mastermind” Group for Health, Wealth, and More.

If you have experience with affiliate marketing, feel free to write a comment below and share your experiences.

In any case, enjoy the Twitter Course. It’s excellent, and there aren’t any strings attached.

Did you enjoy this article? Subscribe to my RSS feed or by e-mail. Also, visit my About, Services, Media Buzz and Connect pages to learn about Building Your Audience and Brand on the Web.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

Comments

It will look like this: Brand Yourself and Market on Twitter

41 Responses to “Brand Yourself and Market on Twitter”

1. Larry Brauner on December 21st, 2008 2:00 pm

Let me get things started.

I like Twitter because it is simple, and because spamming is easily handled. If tweeps (Twitter people) spam me, all I need to do is un-follow them.

You can follow me by visiting my Twitter page.

I like affiliate marketing because I can recommend great products and services to people and get paid for it.

In addition, I get to use my blog and websites to grow a passive residual income business.

2. Dianne Hansen on December 21st, 2008 2:26 pm

I’m becoming more and more active with Twitter, making regular tweets each day, concentrating on giving to others (then they’ll listen to me). I also use TweetLater and I have a little Follow Me On Twitter animated gif on my website. If you want one, just contact me and I’ll direct you.

Follow me from my website Enjoying Your Health Dot Com.

Comment there and I’ll follow YOU!

3. Debbie Morgan on December 21st, 2008 2:43 pm

I’m actually on Twitter and I’m familiar with affiliate marketing but so busy marketing my safety and security web site that marketing anything else creates in me a sense of being spread too thin.

Thanks, Larry, for the encouragement and for all the help you offer.

4. Larry Brauner on December 21st, 2008 3:02 pm

I’m wondering if you stock everything you sell Deb.

If not, then you are an affiliate marketer.

5. TeasasTips on December 21st, 2008 3:06 pm

Twitter has been responsible for me getting so many page views on the site I freelance for.

Thank you all my loyal followers.

6. Mary K Weinhagen on December 21st, 2008 4:02 pm

I’m with you, Larry… one of the things I love about twitter is it’s simplicity.

Despite being limited to 140 characters, I’ve found, with its emphasis on the personal (rule of thumb - 80% personal/20% business when tweeting) relationships based on shared values seem to develop quickly. That’s a real value in my book! ;-)

You can follow me by visiting my Twitter page.

–Mary K

¸..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
    ¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
    ((¸¸.·´ ..·´ -:¦:-
    -:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* Light

EXPECT MIRACLES!

7. Jim - medXcentral on December 21st, 2008 5:24 pm

Twitter is so simple, it’s confusing to most. It takes some regular use to “get it”.. but, once you do, it is an extremely powerful business tool as well as good clean fun.

Larry, I respectfully disagree on one point. You said “twitter has evolved”. In my opinion.. it’s not twitter which has evolved, it is the users who are coming to realize the power of twitter’s simplicity.

I’m an avid user of twitter and, of course I follow Larry. :-) I can be found on twitter at my twitter page.

A favorite twitter ap that I use for tweeting websites I find is Big Tweet, a simple, powerful bookmarklet which makes tweeting any page you are on a snap. Check them out.

See you all out there! - Jim

8. Sandee Robbins on December 21st, 2008 5:52 pm

Well, Larry…

I setup an account with Twitter, but seem to be having just tooooooo many dots going that it is difficult for me to get them all connected.

Twitter originally just did not interest me. I got confused, and just haven’t returned much. No doubt I will soon but afraid that will need to be one of my 2009 projects! You just cannot connect EVERYWHERE. They are ALL so different and I am such a “challenged” old person! Some days my brain just won’t function!

I do thank you for this topic today! You definitely hit the “nail on the head”!

Happy Hannakuh!

9. Larry Brauner on December 21st, 2008 6:24 pm

Thank you Sandee. Hope you enjoy your holidays too!

When you’re ready, try the free Twitter training, and if you need help after that, let me know.

All the best,

Larry

10. Sandee Robbins on December 21st, 2008 7:36 pm

Thanks Larry!

I am truly tied up this week…

And next week, New Years, I will be out of town!

11. Steve on December 21st, 2008 11:25 pm

Larry, thanks for the great information on Twitter. I am going to have to go through this course. I don’t think you can survive without Twitter these days, among other mediums.

12. Larry Brauner on December 22nd, 2008 11:57 am

Testing, tracking and evaluating a wide range of media have always been essential in marketing successfully.

13. georgeb on December 23rd, 2008 7:39 pm

Interesting Article Larry,

I use Twitter for instant interaction, traffic, and feedback. I tend to believe social media is for nurturing relationships and trust, not direct marketing.

If you would like to meet up on twitter, here’s my twitter page.

Thanks for the info Larry .. Happy Holidays

14. Jeffrey D. on December 24th, 2008 12:39 am

I just LOVE Bill Hibbler’s Twitter training.

I agree that the first time I saw Twitter I thought it was a complete waste of time

Now that I see all the local media and news channels talking about it all the time, I finally understand how POWERFUL it can be

WOW!!

Bill is amazing!

He is so good at teaching and makes it very easy even for the newest newbie to understand. I will continue training with AU and cannot thank you enough for introducing it to me.

By the way, Facebook is becoming too played out just as MySpace has done. People constantly SPAMMING programs and businesses are KILLING social media! Even my respected COLLEAGUES are WAY over-doing it sometimes.

It is kind of embarrassing for my personal friends to have to read all of the garbage. This is why I look to you for continued input and support. You are a REALIST.

This blog is much appreciated.

Jeffrey

15. Larry Brauner on December 24th, 2008 1:03 am

I’m not convinced Jeffrey that Facebook or even MySpace are finished yet. We’ll revisit them another time.

I am excited about Twitter.

I’m also excited about Ning social networks, and, by the way, I appreciate your participation on my new Ning site, Critical Thinking Outside the Box.

Thank you for your kind words. Enjoy your holidays.

Larry

16. irel on December 24th, 2008 1:27 pm

Happy holidays!

17. Corfu Chronicles on December 25th, 2008 4:40 am

Wishing you all the best and hoping you have a very happy holiday season!

18. Bella Casa on December 28th, 2008 10:57 am

I love twitter! I have learned so many marketing and branding lessons from my followers there and a few money/free product opportunities as well.

You can follow me at my twitter page.

Happy New Year!
    Bella

19. Jeffrey D. on December 28th, 2008 9:20 pm

Critical Thinking Outside the Box is a great addition to the Ning family. I am also proud to be a featured member. It’s too bad that more people on the site are not participating and networking with each other, like they do at My Private Classroom.

Twitter is yet another way to get people to read your information and blogs. However, it seems nowadays EVERYONE is an expert, coach, trainer or whatever in Social Web Media 2.0. With the recent saturation in training and information products people will tire quickly. I believe that in the years to come, you must distinguish yourself and your talents and bring your own product to the table. If you have created massive success using AdWords or Adsense like Perry Marshall; Traffic Optimization like John Reese; Super-Affiliate status like Frank Kern or Copywriting like Eben you have potential to sell a valuable program.

Now more than ever we need to dig deep and “think outside the box”. We MUST differentiate ourselves from everyone out there who is another “mindset coach” or “Web 2.0 trainer”. Be original and true to what you really are an “expert” at and capitalize on it. Also, continue to build your skills in the process. ‘09 will become a year of DO or DIE. Whatever you do, be an “original”.

Jeff

20. Jeffrey D. on December 28th, 2008 9:30 pm

I also would like to add that we are in great need of step-by-step videos with support. Bill Hibbler has accomplished this and I look forward to using Affiliate U more in depth. People are tired of hearing “Just Do It”. Do what?? Step-by-step video training is a great form of “hand holding” for newbies. If it wasn’t for it, I would probably still be scratching my head at times. Thanks for another great blog post! More people need Larry Brauner holding their hand, but in an optimized video format!

Jeff

21. Larry Brauner on December 28th, 2008 9:38 pm

I pretty much agree with you Jeffrey. I do however believe that anybody on the right side of the 80/20 Rule will have a real shot at success.

I want to point out that My Private Classroom has been around for quite a while, that it stems from a pre-existing group, and that on a percentage basis, very few members actively participate.

I have plans to take Critical Thinking Outside the Box to a new level in 2009.

Please refer to 2009 Outside the Box, my preliminary mission statement for the year to come.

I’m happy to let people like Bill Hibbler at Affiliate University create the step-by-step videos. I prefer to provide personal help that goes beyond that, and that people also sorely need.

22. Stacey on December 29th, 2008 2:13 pm

I use Twitter too. There seems to be a fine line between how many tweets to send out. I prefer to err of the side of too few rather than too many.

Please follow me at my Twitter page.

Stacey

23. Kirill on February 6th, 2009 10:51 pm

Hello Larry,

My choice for twitter is because of it’s post limits, which requires developing of haiku / laconic style of messaging to become an interesting person to follow, plus live search monitoring (through some third-party twitter apps) per interest tags across the whole twitter network, to get up-to-date subjects to follow on. @freshmind

24. Jack Goldenberg on February 9th, 2009 9:49 am

Twitter for business simplifies and focuses your message and it allows your point of interest (or product) to attract the widest possible audience.

I’m still in an adopting and adapting mode, but I hope to start to master the intricacies of communicating on a global level.

If you want to know what Obama Watches is up to next, stay tuned here: @jackgee

25. Bryan on February 17th, 2009 8:36 pm

I use Twitter because it’s great! LOL I love it. It allows for easy Marketing and Networking to your Audience and Niche, and also allows your Audience to get to know you, without actually knowing you!

Well… Get to know me! LOL
    @elaybee on Twitter

26. Kellie Spatz on February 18th, 2009 12:18 pm

Hello Larry,

I totally agree with you, TWITTER IS GREAT!!

I just recently started to use Twitter and my following is great! Thank you to all my followers!

And thank you Larry!!

27. Jorge Olson on February 18th, 2009 4:12 pm

Great Post!

I started using Twitter and have seen a bit of success but not 10,000 followers!

Please share more on this subject!

Jorge Olson

28. Larry Brauner on February 18th, 2009 5:05 pm

Jorge,

I followed all the basics with lots of passion and enthusiasm.

Everything is in the Twitter articles on this blog.

29. conjoboy on February 18th, 2009 10:34 pm

Just heard about Twitter and decided to join. Not very experienced on how you get followers but very interested in sticking around long enough to see what it offers.

My new and soon to be improved Twitter page is @conjoboy.

THANKS!

30. Linda Basta on February 18th, 2009 10:55 pm

I’m just connecting with you.

I love Twitter. I don’t know why.

I still can’t get a handle on how to use it, but it’s refreshing, and simple and no long sales letters.

Looking forward to reading the sample chapter on using it for business.

Here is my Twitter link. If anyone wants to follow me, I’ll follow you back.

@lindabasta

Thanks for sharing,

Linda

31. Mark Yoder on March 3rd, 2009 9:03 pm

I am new to Twitter. I am a transactional corporate and oil & gas lawyer based in Denver and, given the acute slowdown in my workload, decided to Tweet on these topics with the hope to educate and ultimately develop more clients.

Here is my link: @lookinw_lawyer

32. K C Morlock on March 12th, 2009 7:26 pm

I am Twittering to get a handle on branding as I edit and submit various fiction projects to agents and editors.

You can find me at @kcmorlock. Follow me, so I can Follow you and find my way Out!

33. Larry Brauner on June 18th, 2009 11:33 am

I regret to inform you Bill Hibbler’s Affiliate University has imploded, and I’ve edited my article accordingly.

Since the time when I wrote Brand Yourself and Market on Twitter, I’ve obtained about 30,000 Twitter followers without using any of the Twitter follower-getting gimmicks being touted by the gurus.

Anybody looking to follow a sensible Twitter success strategy should pick up the Twitter Power System and study it carefully.

It takes lots of work to get to the top of Twitter, but it’s very doable and isn’t rocket science or brain surgery.

I also recommend joining two of my personal networking sites, Beyond Business Coaching and Let’s Follow Each Other.

34. Glass Queens on November 21st, 2009 4:50 am

While Twitter might be cool and hip for people in the internet/blogging industry, the truth of the matter is that average Joe doesn’t use it and has no need to it. Also, majority of people on Twitter are there to build their list and push their agenda, not to read that of others.

35. Stucco on April 4th, 2010 11:19 am

Glass, I agree. The only reason I follow people is for them to follow me and read what I have to sell.

36. Larry Brauner on April 4th, 2010 1:45 pm

While what you’re saying is somewhat true, there are plenty of Twitter followers reading posts. Otherwise, there wouldn’t be an incentive to build a list and market on Twitter.

37. Alan on October 16th, 2010 6:36 pm

Hi there, I’m the marketer/salesperson of a small, local computer repair business in Abbotsford, BC.

I use Twitter because it seems to not only be a great tool in marketing your blog, website, services, etc…but also great for learning more about your customers and connecting with them a little more.

You can follow me @StardustComp if you wish.

38. Roy Penfold on November 26th, 2010 2:53 pm

Just getting to grips with Twitter and a few other social networking sites. A big problem is updating many sites with news. I’ve found a number of plugins and mods that enable you to automate this to a large degree.

@HastingsMF

39. Michele Holmes on December 9th, 2010 11:06 pm

Twitter seems to be the exact opposite of Facebook. At Twitter I am constantly meeting people whom I would probably never have connected with any other way. Through FB or LI those you meet are usually a friend of a friend. Meeting such a wide scope of people has been a rewarding and broadening experience. We truly live in an incredible age.

@bodiesinmotionm

40. Larry Brauner on December 10th, 2010 12:08 am

You make a very good point, Michele.

41. SpaMedica on March 1st, 2011 6:34 am

Twitter has helped us to gain a huge patient list - we are quite a new company but find twitter to have massive benefits. :)