Larry BraunerThe old media are languishing. Brick and mortar retail sales are disappointing. Consumers are looking increasingly to the web for news, information and the best deals.

While very many businesses have successfully embraced digital media, an even larger number of businesses are still figuring the Internet out and wondering how much is real and how much is hype.

Sadly, many businesses will disappear because they feared technological change or were unwilling to invest in projects that lacked a clear return on investment.

Blockbuster was outmaneuvered by competitor Netflix, because they did too little too late. Read the Forbes article, What Blockbuster Video Can Teach Us About Economics.

I worked several years ago for a free newspaper containing local ads that’s distributed in my area. The paper is feeling the squeeze of the Internet and, as far as I can tell, hasn’t found a satisfactory path forward. The staff finds it more and more difficult each week to meet their numbers. I believe I can help. I met resistance when I suggested it a year ago, but I’ll try again.

Expect me to be offline more than on the next week or so due to the Passover holiday. I hope each of you enjoys and finds fulfillment in whatever special days you might be observing.

Please don’t hesitate to leave a comment. I’ll reply as soon as I can. :-)

Tags: , ,

Comments

It will look like this: Business Feeling the Squeeze of Digital Media

8 Responses to “Business Feeling the Squeeze of Digital Media”

1. eric goldstein on March 29th, 2010 1:43 am

I agree with you Larry. Lately there seems to have been a noticeable acceleration of people/companies embracing social media (particularly Twitter and Facebook) instead of downplaying it. Just seems to have reached that point of critical mass where people are no longer resisting but instead are trying to figure out how to best use it for personal and professional reasons.

Happy Passover!

2. Steven Bush on March 29th, 2010 1:43 am

We have a local newspaper which embraced the internet years ago, and they are now my preferred source for city information on AND offline, because I know they are connected and informed. I can’t imagine a newspaper that would not want to engage their audience in multiple media forms, which increases brand awareness but also provides more opportunities to advertise to them! Good luck convincing them. Also, Happy Passover!

3. Stephen G Barr on March 29th, 2010 2:39 am

I’ve been banging the social media drum since the Usenet era mostly to deaf ears until the past year or so…those who are still sitting on the fence don’t deserve to remain in business.

4. Steve on March 29th, 2010 11:23 am

What this tells me is the importance of looking to local search optimization for my own web presence. I have done a little of that, but it appears to be the next wave, as does the arrival of Web 3.0. Would love to read articles by you on this topic in the future :) Happy Passover!

5. Rick Falls on March 29th, 2010 2:19 pm

It’s amazing how many businesses are reluctant to embrace the new and amazing possibilities that can easily and a lot less expensively get their word out.

The ones who don’t are going to be TOAST !

Lately I’ve focused my efforts on the people who at least have a clue about it so we can actually work together to get it all working for them, instead of wasting my time with people who want to be convinced that it’s real.

Change is the only thing that’s constant !

6. Ana Lucia Novak on March 30th, 2010 11:40 am

I can relate to your article! I attend many Meetup’s and workshops in my area and have been evangelizing on the importance of having an online presence using various social media tools and platforms. A few exclaim how overwhelmed they are even though they are fairly technically savvy and others can’t seem to wrap their arms around the concept.

I explain it is a Mindset thing that can change after spending some time observing the activities and slowly engage with others. As far as feeling overwhelmed, there are plenty of VA’s (like me) who enjoy setting up the social media infrastructure, connecting all the dots and create a system that is manageable. It is taking a risk but I strongly believe it is well worth it.

7. Larry Brauner on April 2nd, 2010 12:35 am

@Eric There are still many businesses that lack a clear plan for the web. Happy Passover.

@Steven Inertia and ignorance may be holding them back.

@Stephen I’d rather help than watch them go out of business.

@Steve We’ll see where my winding path leads.

@Rick Change can also be confusing.

@Ana Lucia I agree very much about mindset. Please check out 7 Tips for Winning the Social Media Marathon.

8. Vivian Bucker on April 11th, 2010 11:45 pm

Great Insights, Larry, that’s exactly where the market is going. Up to the minute information will move online and information that has the capacity to affect someone.