A rose by another name might smell as sweet, but could a horrifically long string of gobbledygook ever smell as sweet as facebook.com/larrybrauner?

Not by any stretch of the imagination.

In case you haven’t heard, Facebook started giving out real user names yesterday morning just past the stroke of midnight. To claim yours, go to facebook.com/username.

However if you have a Facebook business page with fewer than 1,000 fans and want to name it, you’ll have to wait. The biggies have first dibs.

My Facebook business page link is still:

facebook.com/pages/Larry-Brauner/80577106448

I use Facebook, LinkedIn, Ning, and other social networking sites to network one-on-one with people, and a simple Facebook app merges my Twitter updates directly into my Facebook feed. That’s synergy!

Grab Your Name and Make New Facebook Friends

Hurry and get your new Facebook user name. Then leave a comment below with your main reasons for using Facebook and your new Facebook link, so that we can add you as a Facebook friend.

Did you enjoy this article? Subscribe to my RSS feed or by e-mail. Also, visit my About, Services, Media Buzz and Connect pages to learn about me and my social media and web marketing services.

Tags:

Comments

It will look like this: Claim Your Facebook Name

25 Responses to “Claim Your Facebook Name”

1. dawn on June 14th, 2009 6:07 pm

Where do I go on FB to find where I can get a real username for my business page? I just claimed my personal name for my own account but want one for my page.

2. Larry Brauner on June 14th, 2009 6:16 pm

Dawn,

Since you have fewer than 1,000 fans, you’ll have to wait until they open it up to general users.

Tell us your new Facebook link, so people can find you.

Also, if you haven’t done so, please join my Google Friend Connect on the right sidebar.

3. Dorothy on June 14th, 2009 6:21 pm

Thanks for the great article.

Dr Dorothy

4. Larry Brauner on June 14th, 2009 6:25 pm

Happy you liked it Dorothy.

Please feel free to tell us your new Facebook name and why you use Facebook.

5. Jacqueline Johnson on June 14th, 2009 7:13 pm

Thank you so very much for this information. Just followed your instructions and got my new facebook name:

facebook.com/Jacqueline.MarryCaribbean

I figured it would be good to use a combination of my name and business name.

6. The Divine Miss White on June 15th, 2009 3:15 am

Thank you for this reminder Larry - when I read it earlier today I sent an email to my Facebook and Speakersite pals.

Yoru information is always reliable.

7. Ellen Elwell on June 15th, 2009 11:23 am

Larry, you are the very best! Thank you for the help on the new Facebook name. Mine is: www.facebook.com/ellenelwell.

8. Debbie Morgan on June 15th, 2009 12:18 pm

Hi Larry! Thanks for the prompt. My new Facebook name is

facebook.com/debbie.morgan50

I’ll look for you there!

9. April on June 15th, 2009 2:51 pm

Thanks Larry! I’ve secured my Facebook name!

10. Adam on June 16th, 2009 10:21 am

Thanks for the reminder about this. I’d completely forgotten this was happening until this reminded me just now.

11. Jeanine Mercer on June 16th, 2009 1:00 pm

Hi Larry, I got my Facebook name the night it came out, facebook.com/jamsline.

12. Online Marketing Blog on June 17th, 2009 12:37 am

The introduction of Facebook names definitely has the blogosphere buzzing, pretty much every social media site.

It’s also exciting that another medium has been opened. Every new channel of interaction has only postitive effects for networking and getting more visitors to websites.

Regards,
    OZ

13. Mark on June 17th, 2009 7:55 am

Hey,

It’s a good article, although I don’t really frequent Facebook much. I signed up for some friends, but all those profiling websites just seem so alike.

14. Janet Giacoma on June 18th, 2009 10:28 am

Thanks for the reminder Larry. I knew this was to take place, then other business took precedence. Great advice to link all of the social sites together also.

15. Mariel Roque on June 18th, 2009 10:53 pm

Thanks for the info Larry.

I have not opened my Facebook account a couple of weeks now.

I wanted to start another and wanted to change to another user name.

16. Metz on June 19th, 2009 12:24 pm

Hi,

Dropping over to thank you for dropping by over at empty streets and wishing yah a great weekend ahead :) xoxo

17. Stephen Borgman on June 19th, 2009 5:17 pm

Thanks for the interesting information. I also have linked my Twitter to my Facebook page. Every once in a while I get a complaint from some friends that I have too many “status” posts on my FB page, but there have not been too many complaints.

Please feel free to stop by at my new Facebook address: facebook.com/stephenborgman

18. Jack Brighthon on June 22nd, 2009 2:14 pm

Facebook is the best social site to market an online product. Thanks for sharing. I’m just dropping by.

19. CAROL JONES on June 27th, 2009 9:49 pm

LARRY,

Greetings from rural Australia.

I just discovered your site this morning and am amazed at how much fabulous information you have about list building and social marketing.

WITHOUT all the ra-ra-ra and hoopla of the other sites I clicked on this morning. Which, as a business woman, makes me immediately distrust them and put them into the ‘get rich quick’ sleaze category.

I discovered Facebook usernames yesterday and was unsure as to what to do, but with some help from Facebook, quickly figured out that it was as simple as putting a username into any URL. Which says that Facebook has taught me that anything to do with them is very difficult.

As it’s almost impossible for me to ever snatch Carol Jones before someone else, I’ve come up with a standard username that not only describes my rural life, but my attitude to life.

So my new Facebook address is facebook.com/ClassyRuralGal.

Several weeks ago I updated my biography on Ezine and it took me over an hour for Ezine to accept the link I ‘guessed’ was the right one for Facebook. I tried a zillion combinations until one was accepted.

So this new approach by Facebook makes my life so much simpler.

I’m also going to put it on all my blogs. I write 3 serious blogs and 4 occasional blogs.

Back to you.

I am really looking forward to keeping up with Online Social Networking and have already subscribed.

Your site looks so classy and therefore trustworthy to me. Which appeals to me because I’m a very serious online and offline business woman.

You’ve really differentiated yourself from the other ‘hit and run online experts’, who know nothing and give only trash away.

There, I’ve had my say.

And I’m sure I’ll become one of your devoted fans.

Take care,

CAROL

Carol Jones
    Director
    Interface Pty Ltd
    Post Office Box 139
    KANDOS NSW 2848 Australia
    Tel: +612 63 58 85 11
    Fax: +612 63 58 85 10
    Designers of The Fitz Like A Glove™ Ironing Board Cover
    My simple solutions for difficult problems make every product a joy to use

Visit my website Simple Solutions For Difficult Problems at www.interfaceaustralia.com and listen to my ‘In Conversation’ podcasts. It’s a monthly conversation with media host Victoria Hansen about how I’ve built a business on the foundation of good old fashioned service. Trust, honesty, courtesy and good manners still matter.

20. Larry Brauner on June 28th, 2009 1:23 am

Thank you very much for your friendship and support Carol.

21. Larry Brauner on July 8th, 2009 9:57 am

Here is an important update.

If you have a Facebook fan page, you can now claim your name. Page names are now available to all page creators, not just the biggies.

My page name is facebook.com/larrybraunerpage.

Please come join my Facebook page if you haven’t already, and please join my Google Friend Connect up on my right sidebar.

22. Jacques Snyman on August 31st, 2009 12:42 pm

Unfortunately, my name is a rather common and popular one in the country I reside in, South Africa, so I lost out a wee bit.

My page name is facebook.com/jacques.snyman1.

I did get my exact twitter name though @JacquesSnyman, so I am happy with that!

23. Larry Brauner on August 31st, 2009 1:12 pm

Jacques and everybody else, I invite you to connect with me on Facebook.

Facebook Profile Page
    Facebook Blog Page
    Facebook Fan Page

24. Tina on January 25th, 2011 5:39 pm

I know this is late and if anyone sees this…added a name to my Like page although I apparently had a hold on another - just needed more likes to “claim” it. Now I have the newer name: tinaandersonOC, but I had originally started it with just tinaanderson. Anyone know if I can claim my original back?

25. Larry Brauner on January 26th, 2011 9:41 am

One thing that’s clear, Tina, is that you can’t change your Facebook page, tinaandersonOC.

Also, there no such thing as a hold on a Facebook name, so unless another Tina Anderson came along, or unless you took the name for your personal profile, the name should be available.

I suggest that you delete your current Facebook page and that you create a new one. Get your 25 page fans, and then name the new page tinaanderson.

Let me know if you have any questions, Tina.