Larry BraunerFacebook custom tabs are mini web pages within Facebook business pages that can be programmed, somewhat like one would program a regular website. You can use custom tabs to provide information, brand your business page or invite new visitors to “like” your Facebook business page.

Facebook Custom Tabs

Major brands, such as Coke and Macy’s, sport elegant Facebook pages and custom tabs that are visually coordinated with their corporate branding. There’s very little that’s generic about their Facebook pages. However, you have the option of creating your Facebook page and custom tabs on a modest budget, much as I’ve been doing.

My quite primitive but useful custom About tab offers information about me and at the same time functions as a landing page for new visitors.

Facebook Custom Tabs Using FBML

FacebookI created my custom tab using a Facebook application called Static FBML, i.e., Static Facebook Markup Language.

As indicated in Facebook Changes Are a Pane for Many, Facebook will phase out Static FBML but, as of this moment, you can still create your custom tabs using Static FBML, and Facebook will “grandfather” your custom tabs in. The newer method for creating custom tabs may be more difficult to use than the present one.

The Static FBML application works fine using very basic HTML. If you know a little HTML, you’re ready to create custom tabs — as long as you already have your own Facebook page. If you don’t know any HTML, you should seek help.

Go to the Static FBML application and create several new blank custom FBML tabs while you still can. ;-)

Sharing is Caring! Please use the SHARE widget.

Tags: ,

Comments

It will look like this: Create New Facebook Custom Tabs Before It’s Too Late

18 Responses to “Create New Facebook Custom Tabs Before It’s Too Late”

1. Bunn Coffee Maker on October 4th, 2010 11:22 pm

Very nice, Larry, I confess I had no idea about this. You give away a wealth of info about Facebooky stuff. I haven’t been much on FB for a couple of years now and am totally out of touch. I’m probably missing a lot, but your posts help me stay abreast. We should program something or other on FB for sure.

2. Marcelle Paisley on October 4th, 2010 11:40 pm

Hi,

Great notice for what developers need to take note of. However, I was hoping that the line

“The newer method for creating custom tabs may be more difficult to use than the present one.”

would be elaborated upon.

Thanks
    Marcelle

3. Larry Brauner on October 5th, 2010 12:07 am

@Philip Facebook is an important part of the grid.

@Marcelle Until I try out the new frame and script combination, I won’t know if it’s really more difficult to use. One thing I didn’t mention that’s worth bringing up is that the new technology may not be as search engine friendly as the present one.

4. Brandy Burge on October 5th, 2010 2:00 am

Hey Larry, how are you?

I’ve added the tabs to all of my fan pages,

Tell me my dear, am I blind? Where is the edit / setup button????

how do we get in to set them up?

Thanks Larry,

Brandy

5. Larry Brauner on October 5th, 2010 2:10 am

I’m fine Brandy. Hope you are too.

From your fan page, click on “Edit Page.”

Then under applications, find the FBML tab you want to edit and click on “Edit.” Hopefully you’ll be okay from there.

6. robyn on October 5th, 2010 10:02 am

I can’t even do them now. OMG, I am in trouble if they make it harder.

7. Larry Brauner on October 5th, 2010 10:09 am

Don’t worry Robyn. Most Facebook page owners probably can’t create Facebook custom tabs.

8. Christine on October 5th, 2010 1:01 pm

Thanks for the post and the reminder.

I heard the “new” direction FB was going was i-frames… although not sure on the “how” to upload the i-frame. I heard you can create your HTML and then use an “i-frame generator”… but not sure where you find that either!

Anyway, I activated FBML on one FB account… but have no idea what to do from there…

Can you create a simple step by step Camtasia on how to Name the tab, position it where you want, and most important, how to upload your page info in FBML (or what I would think is essentially HTML content)? I’m also sure there are some parameters, like max. width, etc.

Also, how do you embed an opt in form, video, etc.?

I realize there are “templates” for purchase, but seems if you know some HTML, you should be able to design what you want to put there.

I just don’t know “HOW” to get it there! :)

Hope you’ll take this bull by the horns.

Christine

9. The Fitness Diva on October 5th, 2010 2:57 pm

Thanks for the heads up, Larry!

Your post actually just reminded me to go ahead and start my official brand FB page for The Fitness Diva. I will now go back and tweak it when I have the time, and will definitely try to streamline it using the FBML methods and tools you spoke of.

I have a regular “personal” FB page, but now that I’m trademarked and selling goods under the TFD brand, an official FB page is a must have, and I sure don’t want one of those boring, bland blues ones for my brand page like the masses have. I’ll be sure to get all tweaking done before the deadline! ;)

Thanks, again for sharing this pertinent info!

10. Katie @ SM Workshop on October 5th, 2010 4:43 pm

I didn’t realize custom tabs were so easy. Thanks for sharing your knowledge, I’m going to look into getting one for my page.

11. Larry Brauner on October 6th, 2010 12:30 am

@Christine The Facebook interface has changed a bit since this video, but I hope it will help. Please let me know.

12. Duni on October 6th, 2010 10:00 am

The video was really helpful - thank you for sharing. I have added my custom tab. I hope it won’t be deleted when the new version comes out.

13. Larry Brauner on October 6th, 2010 10:49 am

Don’t worry Duni. All existing Static FBML custom Facebook tabs will be preserved.

14. Taigh Smyth on October 6th, 2010 1:35 pm

Thanks for this post Larry!

Had no idea these changes are being made. Reminds me to get on top of my Facebook’s fan page ASAP!

Cheers!

15. Lou montan on October 7th, 2010 3:59 pm

Always great info. I went to all my pages and created a custom page. I will be trying the new way as soon as it’s required.

Thanks.

16. Lamont on October 24th, 2010 10:05 am

I just wanted to thank you for providing such rich and valuable content. Your information is really making my work a little easier. Your work is truly appreciated.

17. Larry Brauner on October 24th, 2010 10:21 am

Thank you Lamont for the positive feedback.

18. Patricia on December 30th, 2011 4:58 pm

I wonder how businesses are going to look with the new timeline layout. It should be very interesting to see how they gradually transition.
    -Patricia-