Larry BraunerHave you seen the notice on Facebook yet? Facebook is getting ready to remove all application tabs from your Profile page, including the NetworkedBlogs application Blog tab.

I speculated when Facebook removed applications from the sidebar that they’d use the freed-up space for something else.

FacebookPerhaps, Facebook does want to free up the sidebar and tabs for other uses.

However, I’ve observed a trend recently that’s more far reaching and more fundamental to Facebook’s success.

Facebook Aiming to Increase Member Engagement

Engagement, i.e., member activity and interaction, is the lifeblood of social media sites. Engagement keeps a social media site humming, and it creates revenue from advertising and other fees. The Facebook changes are being orchestrated to increase member engagement on their site.

How so? Could removing applications from Facebook Profile page actually help rather than hurt member engagement?

Yup. It could.

Your Facebook Home Page

Facebook is removing applications from your Profile page but adding them to the sidebar of your Home page. They’re already listed there, right below the list of your new Facebook groups. Facebook is turning your Home page sidebar into your Facebook navigation pane.

Why go to the trouble of rearranging the Facebook interface? I can think of two good reasons:

1. It’s simpler - From your Facebook Home page you can navigate to many of the other pages you care about.
  2. Greater engagement - More importantly, we’re too focused on our Profile and business pages. Therefore, Facebook is gently shepherding us to our Home pages where we’ll find our News Feeds, and we’ll view content posted by the friends and Facebook pages we follow. That will, in turn, increase our engagement.

Typically, the most important page of a social media site is its home page. The home pages of Facebook and other social sites are designed to engage you with fellow members and their content.

Facebook application tabs are going away, but not the Facebook applications themselves. They’re now on your Home page, and Facebook want you to be there too.

I’m sure you’re in a hurry to comment on my post, but before you do, please “like” my Facebook page and subscribe to my blog. ;-)

Sharing is Caring! Please use the SHARE widget.

Tags: ,

Comments

It will look like this: Facebook Applications Tabs Going Away

20 Responses to “Facebook Applications Tabs Going Away”

1. Cherry Rahtu on October 20th, 2010 11:28 pm

Larry, you are so speedy ;)

Thanks for sharing this change.

Change is always good as long as it moves in the right direction.

2. Lou Montan on October 21st, 2010 1:25 am

Great topic and information. I had noticed the changes, but I hadn’t thought through what they were doing.

3. Fiona Bosticky on October 21st, 2010 4:36 am

This just goes to show that businesses shouldn’t put to much faith in a free social media platform.

Some businesses got into trouble when Twitter made the “backgrounds” business obsolete.

So I think now contingency plans need to be made to account for things Facebook might do too.

4. Stephen G. Barr on October 21st, 2010 4:50 am

Thanks for pointing out the silver lining to the changes, Larry!

5. Alicia Carstens on October 21st, 2010 11:08 am

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge!

Alicia

6. Mirdza on October 21st, 2010 3:30 pm

Interaction must definitely be the goal of social media/groups, and so hopefully this new FB interface will help us in that way, as you say in this note.

7. Joel Broughton on October 24th, 2010 2:22 pm

Makes sense Larry, as always, these large businesses aren’t as dumb as we think. Hopefully Facebook doesn’t get too greedy with chasing their advertising dollars though, or they’ll probably find themselves a little bit smaller each day.

8. 7 Reasons for Disappointment with the Facebook NetworkedBlogs Application | Online Social Networking on October 24th, 2010 9:29 pm

[…] Facebook Applications Tabs Going Away […]

9. Mike Tabolsky on October 25th, 2010 6:55 pm

This has been a long time coming, in my opinion. Thanks for the article.

10. Larry Brauner on October 26th, 2010 12:14 am

@Cherry @Lou @Stephen @Alicia @Mirdza @Joel @Mike Thank you for reading and commenting.

@Fiona I agree that you shouldn’t put All Your Social Media Eggs in One Basket.

11. BRIM on October 27th, 2010 8:40 am

That’s fine for my personal access to my apps…but what about others viewing my profile? For example, I have a “Band Profile” tab…how will others continue to be able to see my band on my profile?

12. Larry Brauner on October 27th, 2010 8:46 am

That is an issue, Brim, and I’m glad you brought it up. My friends will no longer be able to see my blogs from my profile for the same reason. We’ll have to see what Facebook has planned to replace that.

As a side note, the application tabs don’t seem to be going away from business pages, at least not for now.

13. Jeanne on November 2nd, 2010 9:44 am

That’s correct, Larry. Application tabs are only going away for user profiles - not businesses. Businesses can continue to develop iframe applications (which can be housed in a tab). I can’t see FB ever getting rid of that - they are in fact encouraging iframe applications right now over FBML (which is also going away).

14. Larry Brauner on November 2nd, 2010 9:52 am

Yes, Jeanne. I wrote about your second point too in Create New Facebook Custom Tabs Before It’s Too Late.

15. BRIMS7ON3 on November 8th, 2010 2:32 pm

Any word yet on how those of us with businesses (my band, for example) can get our info onto our personal profiles now that the app tabs are gone? This stinks.

16. Larry Brauner on November 8th, 2010 2:37 pm

At least there should be Info and Event tabs.

17. Tutor Jobs on December 3rd, 2010 8:04 am

Interaction must definitely be the goal of social media/groups, and so hopefully this new Facebook interface will help us in that way, as you say in this note.

18. Certified Life Coach on December 3rd, 2010 8:05 am

It has been a long time coming, in my opinion. Thanks for the article.

19. ONE Facebook Business Page, No More, No Fewer | Online Social Networking on January 16th, 2011 10:43 pm

[…] Facebook business pages support applications and tabs. Personal page application tabs have gone away. […]

20. Doing Business On Facebook: Brauner's 7 Issues to Consider | Using Facebook for Business Marketing on January 27th, 2011 9:45 am

[…] Facebook profile pages are intended for networking with family and friends and not for business networking, and you can’t separate your personal and business networking on Facebook. Your family and personal friends are being irritated by business posts showing up in their News Feeds, while at the same time business connections are eavesdropping on your personal conversations. […]