Larry BraunerI love to experiment with SEO and social media strategies for small businesses. I’m ready to admit that many of my experiments are flops, but there’s no need to discuss those right now. ;-)

One of my successes, however, is with Facebook page events. These aren’t merely events created by Facebook pages, as you might think. Rather, they’re virtual events that take place entirely on the walls and in the discussion areas of Facebook pages. The objective of Facebook page events is to increase page membership and engagement.

My First Facebook Page Event

FacebookMy first such event, the 4+ Day Blog and Website Promotion Event and Social Media Party, took place January 2010 on my Facebook page in celebration of my 58th birthday. This Facebook event went viral and attracted well over 300 participants. As a result, I added many new fans and generated a momentum for my Facebook page that has continued even until today.

I have since organized other networking events on Facebook pages, including Books I’m Reading on the Purple Umpkin page and What I’m Grateful For on my Facebook page, that were modestly successful.

International Watch Fair on Facebook

POLICE Most Arresting Exhibit at BaselworldYou may recall that I wrote in My Social Media Mission Abroad about attending Baselworld 2011 in Switzerland earlier in the year. The Baselworld Watch and Jewelry Fair was the most marvelous business experience I have ever had, and I dare say for most other people in the trade, as well.

My Baselworld experience is the inspiration for my latest Facebook page event, the 4-Day International Watch Fair, taking place next week on the Gevril Group page. 76 people have already RSVP-ed “I’m Attending” as of this writing, and I wouldn’t be at all  surprised if attendance at this first of its kind event reached several hundred Facebook members.

You can create Facebook page events too but to achieve favorable results, I recommend that you or your client build a solid web presence — on and off Facebook — before giving this approach a try. Your web presence will help to fuel your Facebook page event.

Please subscribe and like my Facebook page.

Comments are welcome. :-)

Sharing is Caring! Use the handy SHARE widget.

Tags: , ,

Comments

It will look like this: Facebook Page Events Rock

15 Responses to “Facebook Page Events Rock”

1. Chrystal Bougon on August 29th, 2011 12:27 am

What a great concept. I am going to try and wrap my head around this one and see if I can try it myself. I will keep you posted.

2. Tommy Stern on August 29th, 2011 12:39 am

How do you propose to get that facebook presence?

3. Tessa@Web Development Portland on August 29th, 2011 5:20 am

Well said. Social reputation is important to gain traffic. Thanks for sharing your success story.

4. Jamie Gorman on August 29th, 2011 6:47 am

Larry, do you have a good resource that describes how a Facebook Page Event works and how to set one up?

Thanks,
    Jamie

5. Jack Goldenberg on August 29th, 2011 7:58 am

I think it’s helpful and inspirational that you’ve mentioned that not all of your experiments online have worked. Very few experienced professionals would admit that, but I believe the more genuine ones would.

One’s online experience is fraught with missteps, wrong turns and plenty of “How the hell did I do that,” and it’s encouraging to know that even pros like you don’t always succeed, but you never give up trying.

It’s a true sign of intelligence and character. Jack

6. Karla Campos on August 29th, 2011 9:34 am

Hi Larry, I agree with you that Facebook page events ROCK! I have attended many and met great new people. Your upcoming virtual watch fair sounds exciting!

7. Ann on August 29th, 2011 12:41 pm

Great teaser, now what exactly did you do that worked so well?

8. Larry Brauner on August 29th, 2011 1:05 pm

@Chrystal You can do it!

@Tommy Most of this blog deals with building a social media web presence. Please look for relevant articles in the site map. If you’d like me to guide you step-by-step, I suggest you contact me privately.

@Jamie @Ann Great idea for another article or two.

I thank you all for your feedback and comments.

9. Sue Reddel on August 29th, 2011 2:47 pm

Hi Larry, I remember the event and you did such a great job promoting it. I haven’t planned one yet but it certainly looks like something well worth doing for PoshPorts. Thanks for the reminder.

10. Ryan Biddulph on August 29th, 2011 9:22 pm

Great note about building your web presence.

As your presence expands and your connections increase it will be easier to set up a successful FB Page event, for your “clout” becomes even more powerful.

Thanks for sharing your insight!

RB

11. Alice Coaxum on August 30th, 2011 1:40 am

Sounds like a good idea, I may have to try that.

Thanks for the tip!

12. Yomar Lopez on September 1st, 2011 1:47 pm

Facebook events may very well be THE best way to engage otherwise distracted audiences on this popular social networking platform. I like to use events to feed groups and gauge interest in particular subjects.

I recommend being more selective with invitations the more your network grows on Facebook. You’ll always have more people “not attending” than RSVPing with the other options. That’s to be expected.. but you want to minimize the bottom-heavy response by:

* hand-picking attendees
    * personally inviting your biggest influencers and friends
    * making sure you show that you value everyone’s time
    * addressing the implied question of “What’s in it for me?”

This has worked for me well and I have some very active groups that I plan to build upon. Facebook is not by any stretch my main social media outpost but understanding and leveraging it’s strengths is important for anyone with an account there.

I also feel like there should be more virtual workshops on Facebook where we discuss the best social media practices and how to really work the tools thereof. We just started one for Klout and Twitter - it has been great!

I find that most folks do not use the full features of their social tools, including the ones that come “right out of the box”.. So educating your peers and supporters, while learning some new things yourself, is a wonderful opportunity to nurture relationships, share value, and truly build a network that cares.

Thanks for sharing this - it’s something that really needs to be spread out as we know that the news feeds and walls just bury items, much like Digg does. 8)

13. B2B Watch Company 9-Month Social Media and SEO Case Study | Online Social Networking on September 4th, 2011 11:23 pm

[…] Facebook Page Events Rock […]

14. Rakhitha nimesh on September 10th, 2011 1:06 am

Nice concept. Please elaborate more on creating and managing Facebook events. Thanks.

15. 10 Tips for Inviting to Facebook Events | Online Social Networking on September 11th, 2011 10:28 pm

[…] Facebook Page Events Rock […]