Larry BraunerFacebook is starting to look like other social networking sites. The once popular minimalist Facebook user interface has morphed into a collage of random images, notifications and advertisements.

Introducing the new In-Your-Facebook. The new Facebook could merge with MySpace, and we might not even notice. :-P

Facebook Personal Profiles not Great for Business

FacebookI listed 7 Issues to Consider About Doing Business on Facebook. Let me add another issue to my list: Facebook personal profiles aren’t professional looking any longer.

If you’re using your personal Facebook profile for business, my advice is to diversify your online social networking, so that you will be able to get along well enough without it.

Don’t abandon your personal profile yet, and certainly don’t stop building up your Facebook business or fan page. Facebook fan pages are still cool.

Facebook Networking Alternatives

LinkedIn, niche Ning networks and Twitter are all viable business networking alternatives to Facebook. I invite you to connect with me on each these platforms:

What do you think of the direction in which Facebook personal profiles are headed?

Sharing is Caring! Use the handy SHARE widget.

Tags:

Comments

It will look like this: Introducing the All-New In-Your-Facebook

13 Responses to “Introducing the All-New In-Your-Facebook”

1. Laura on December 12th, 2010 6:48 pm

Great post Larry. With the recent group page changes, and the new facebook profile interface I have actually considered leaving Facebook altogether. I just don’t know what they are thinking. I no longer spend as much time on facebook and prefer Ning, Apsense, or many of the other social networks now for marketing. I’m sorry to say that Facebook’s continual changes only serve to infuriate most of its users, and I’m sure their popularity will soon start to decline.

2. Guy Siverson on December 12th, 2010 7:12 pm

I don’t like the new look to Facebook either Larry. Especially when you no longer have the bio box to promote your Fan Page.

However…

I did come up with a solution to this problem that gets the Fan Page link back in front of my audience:

FB Info Box Gone - What Internet Marketers Should Do

Also don’t like the new JPG section.

3. Debby Bruck on December 12th, 2010 11:03 pm

Facebook is in constant flux. One cannot really keep up unless they devote a concentrated amount of time to learn all the facets of this social network. In a way, Facebook is like chasing after a shadow.

Love
    Debby
    @DebbyBruck

4. Hans Lak on December 13th, 2010 4:21 am

Larry people are still free to change the profile…for NOW! You should tell that to your audience! And warn them not to make the CHANGE! THE NEW PROFILE IS BAD REAL BAD!

I had many of my Facebook pages in the info box and came up with the same solution! Use your work info to post your Facebook Page! Its too bad that we can not post more like in LinkedIn! But Facebook knows whats best for the Facebook Community! I have warned many friends not to change their profiles until Facebook will do it for everyone!

It is possible to use the images by tagging yourself but you have to keep on removing pictures that you have been tagged in! I agree Facebook is not for professional use anymore! How long do you think it will take until Facebook starts making the same mistakes for the Pages of Companies?

They do not allow real membership administration and its dangerous to make somebody admin because every admin has the same rights…it would be interesting to learn more tricks about Facebook pages especially when it comes to managing the information!

5. bingkee on December 13th, 2010 8:14 am

The new FB profile is optional. If people don’t want to change into the new one, then don’t …that simple. The problem with most people complaining about FB is that they don’t know what FB is all about. First, there was gripe about privacy, then know how to control privacy settings, and don’t post images or updates that jeopardize your career or image/reputation or your life. If they think FB is invading their privacy, where on the universe a social networking site doesn’t? I’ve joined all social sites before and each one has their own terms about privacy and content and control. If anyone doesn’t like to lay out their “life” online, then don’t ever join a social networking site not even LinkedIn or anything.

FB has the right to do everything they want to do, after all, that’s their business. They don’t ask you to join, you join because you want to.

Oh by the way, if people want FB to make it their professional page, they should remember to keep it professional—meaning, don’t allow yourself to be tagged (this is in privacy control), control your privacy settings, don’t put personal photos and just have the discretion of what to allow on your wall or not or what you want to say to your contacts….Very simple right….These people are so sour.

6. John on December 13th, 2010 8:53 am

Larry - I think the direction the new Facebook personal profiles is heading into an era where the focus is more on enhancing the visual experience of facebook users.

I totally agree with you in the sense that you shouldn’t depend completely on Facebook personal profiles when it comes to business. Diversifying your online social networking efforts is definitely necessary.

7. Art on December 13th, 2010 7:02 pm

It is ridiculous how people are so dramatic when it comes to slight changes in social media. In our day and age a good, well rounded social media portfolio is to your advantage. I may be slightly biased due to the fact that I work in the advertising/marketing industry but to have a wholesome online presence is a positive thing. Especially, when it comes down to your own branding as well as your company’s.

8. Martyn Hodgson on December 14th, 2010 3:23 am

I’ve seen several recent changes to alter my direction on FB with clients and myself. Now I go straight for the page in most cases.

Groups - the idea you can be pre approved scares me so I avoid suggesting these to clients unless the group is really tight knit.

Pages - these are even more powerful than before. You can directly upload contacts and they’re taking over where groups fail.

Profiles - have become a lot more social. But is this wrong? People are primarily on FB for a social experience so any business done has to weave into that mindset. Which means socially facing businesses like retail, pubs, music etc will do really well. Professional and B2B businesses less so. Bottom line is, you go where your customers are and are receptive to you.

9. Amit on December 14th, 2010 6:38 am

Facebook should have more themes to make users profiles attractive.

10. whitney brothers on December 17th, 2010 11:47 am

I don’t like this new theme. I agree with the MySpace comparison. It’s a little “in your face”.

I also don’t like the fact that your comments on your friends’ statuses show up on your wall. That’s not very private.

11. Gilberto Cintron on December 18th, 2010 1:49 am

Hey Larry, nothing is constant but change.

If I owned a website that had 500 Million users around the world, I would think I was doing something right.

Fact of the matter is you can please some of the people some of the time, but you can not please all of the people all of the time.

I like FB and will continue to play on it, those that don’t like it are free not to play on it. The world wide web has many other places one can play or do business in.

12. How to Hit the Right Mix of Traffic Sources | Online Social Networking on December 19th, 2010 9:46 pm

[…] Introducing the All-New In-Your-Facebook […]

13. Internet Marketing Firms on January 12th, 2011 3:16 am

Thanks for sharing this information; I think fan page and business pages are enough for business branding. Personal profiles should be kept personal.