Larry BraunerI’m writing from Baselworld 2011, the giant international watch and jewelry expo that takes place yearly in Basel, Switzerland. The watch show, with its grand and intricate exhibits, is very exciting.

I’m wondering how many people, like myself, are in Basel for social media or are even aware of the social web beyond Facebook or their favorite blog – probably no more than fraction of the 80K attendees.

Baselworld 2011

Baselworld 2011I came to  Basel to interview as many of the Baselworld 2011 exhibitors as I could, but I chose instead a more focused and practical mission: to visit the many watch brands our company represents and to discuss social media collaboration with them.

I’ve been asking each of our watch brands to supply me regularly with content for our company blogs that feature and promote them.

In other words, rather than source all content by myself, I’m building partnerships with our watch brands to share the effort. If even half follow through and send me the desired text, photos and videos, I’ll have ample content for our blogs and  web presence.

That’s the game plan. Your thoughts?

Sharing is Caring! Use the handy SHARE widget.

Tags: , , ,

Comments

It will look like this: My Social Media Mission Abroad

11 Responses to “My Social Media Mission Abroad”

1. Jack Goldenberg on March 28th, 2011 7:19 am

Very smart plan. Let’s say only 10% follow thru, since you are dealing with competing brands, once the 90% who didn’t follow thru see the publicity of the 10% who took you up on your offer, many of them will jump on the watchband wagon (I know, technically it’s the watch face wagon.).

So you’re social media plan will have a viral affect and grow over time.

Please bring me back some Swiss chocolate, Swiss cheese and a watch. Preferably Swiss. Jack

2. Tony Eldridge on March 28th, 2011 9:17 am

Larry, this is a genius move. Not only will you be leveraging your relationships to get quality content, the synergy created will help you accomplish more that you could do on your own.

I bet that the companies who take you up on the offer will be more likely to help you promote the blog, exposing more visitors to it.

Great move!

Tony Eldridge.

3. Steve on March 28th, 2011 11:54 am

If you can create committed syndication partnerships with at least 10 people in your niche, where each of you agree to promote each other, I imagine you would substantially build traffic in a win win situation.

4. Ernest O'Dell on March 28th, 2011 8:07 pm

Larry, it sounds like you have the plan “nailed down” and I agree with Jack: if only 10% of your contacts followed through, they would benefit from it.

But, the major hurdle is to show all of them — including the remaining 90% — that they would all benefit, and in reality, there wouldn’t be any “competition” per se, but more exposure for all of them.

When the traffic is built up through organic syndication, everybody benefits.

On another note: I’m happy to see you doing so well in Basel, and look forward to hearing more about your trip — not only the social/technical content — but also the cultural part of your travel.

I’ve been doing a bit of syndication here lately with my articles, and happy to report that my organic traffic is ramping up to about 1,000-1,200 UV’s a day… sometimes more.

And, that’s just through one distribution channel: and I have over 50 at my disposal.

I’m working on this month’s article for the Small Business Network, so I’ll wish you well and bid you ado until we here from you again.

Regards,
    Ernest O’Dell
    Questar TeleCommunications

P.S. Let me know where all the good kosher shops are at. I might be able to go through Basel this summer when I finish my fishing trip vacation in Portofino. :)

5. Catherine White on March 29th, 2011 4:29 am

I look forward to hearing more about your trip abroad, particularly from such a beautiful location.

Safe travels Larry
    @CatherineWPhoto

6. Sheri Koones on March 29th, 2011 6:29 am

Sounds like a great plan!
    Hope you also enjoy the sights in Switzerland while you are there.

7. steve barbarich on April 4th, 2011 11:22 pm

Coming from the watch capital of the world, that sounds like a great plan! :)

8. Social Media Collaboration at Baselworld | Online Social Networking on April 5th, 2011 9:53 pm

[…] My Social Media Mission Abroad […]

9. Building Up Our Social Media Team | Online Social Networking on April 13th, 2011 10:48 pm

[…] My Social Media Mission Abroad […]

10. Jay Sheers on April 18th, 2011 9:19 pm

First of, I hope you enjoyed Switzerland. What a beautiful place! Second, your plan is brilliant and not because it is something innovative. You are keeping it simple, taking small steps and let it accumulate. In my humble opinion, it is the best way to grow a business.

11. Facebook Page Events Rock | Online Social Networking on August 28th, 2011 10:46 pm

[…] may recall that I wrote in My Social Media Mission Abroad about attending Baselworld 2011 in Switzerland earlier in the year. The Baselworld Watch and […]