Larry BraunerThere are the old Facebook groups, and there are also the new Facebook groups that will very soon supersede the old.

I wrote several articles last summer about the old Facebook groups:

Since the content of old Facebook groups is not syndicated to news feeds, members only become aware of new content through an intrusive group broadcast or by randomly visiting the group.  Unfortunately, I became increasingly disenchanted with old Facebook groups because of too little engagement and interactivity.

New Facebook Groups Wreak Havoc

FacebookAlong came new Facebook groups, and I quickly seized the opportunity to try them out. Before long, I wrote about my experience with the new groups in New Facebook Groups Wreak Havoc:

“By default, a member is notified every time another member posts. If the new Facebook group is large, members will be bombarded with unwanted email notifications and chat window popups. The engagement problem is solved, but a new notification problem is created.

“Users who are bothered by the quantity of email notifications can change their notification setting to “only posts I am subscribed to” and reduce or eliminate the notification problem — once they figure out how to do so.

“However, there’s a bigger problem not yet mentioned: One can be added by Facebook friends to new Facebook groups without pre-approval. Therefore, before one knows what’s happening, and before one can leave the group or change one’s notification setting, emails start flowing into his or her inbox, seemingly out of nowhere.”

With the new Facebook groups, the pendulum had swung in the opposite direction. The potential for unwanted notifications and spam alarmed me. Facebook had created a virtual monster.

New Facebook Groups Superseding the Old

Perhaps the havoc has subsided or there was less of it than I imagined, for Facebook has decided to phase out the old Facebook groups and to phase in the new. They’ve done a little tweaking to the groups but not much. All I can advise, therefore, is to use the new Facebook groups with caution. I hope Facebook’s initiative will be successful.

Check out Facebook Groups – a complete Guide. If used effectively, the new Facebook groups can be a great tool for networking and collaboration. I plan to use the new form of groups primarily for business networking.

My New Facebook Groups

I invite you to join me in any of my new Facebook groups that interest you. Simply join a group and wait for your membership to be approved. These are my seven new Facebook groups:

1. Larry Brauner (My Personal Group)
  2. Fabulous Baby Boomers
  3. Social Media Enthusiasts
  4. Enterprising Business Leaders
  5. Rockland County, New York
  6. Watch Enthusiasts
  7. Stumblers (StumbleUpon Group)

Want to invite readers to join your new Facebook groups? The floor is now yours. Go ahead and leave a comment. :-)

Sharing is Caring! Use the handy SHARE widget.

Tags: , ,

Comments

It will look like this: New Facebook Groups for Better or Worse

18 Responses to “New Facebook Groups for Better or Worse”

1. Adam Lewis on May 9th, 2011 2:37 am

Thanks for the post. I run a little group for mountain bikers - it is a private group. I find it hard to get engagement and I am wondering what is the best way to notify people of new content without annoying them. So this is helpful.

A question. Do you know how to post directly to the we’ll of a group from a Smartphone or load photos directly to the wall (without posting it to my personal wall)?

Thanks.

Adam

2. Dena Gottlieb on May 9th, 2011 2:57 am

Here’s another problem I have with Facebook groups - I don’t necessarily want everything I post in a group to be broadcast to the entire world via my Facebook profile. I don’t like the fact that private groups aren’t really private. Unless I’m missing something?

I also have a (maybe) unique problem. I had a Facebook profile and it was hacked. Since then I wasn’t able to get back into the account because Facebook suspended it (but it’s still there). So, I opened up a new Facebook account, since I had no idea how to contact them to release my original account. Now, my old profile gets added to groups without asking me and since I can’t get in to the old profile to exit the groups - I’m stuck getting loads of unwanted mail. ARGHHHHHH!
    Any ideas?

3. Walethia on May 9th, 2011 7:41 am

Thank you for sharing. I created a group on FB. ‘ Business and Career Etiquette.’ Each and every time I added someone to my group I waited for the not so friendly email. As of yet I’ve not received any. Adding people to my group was especially challenging for me considering I’m an Etiquette Coach. It just would have been too time consuming to go through my friends and send individual invitations. A feature I guess FB did not consider!

I would love to have you as a member of Business and Career Etiquette.

With Grace and Charm,
    Walethia

4. Larry Brauner on May 9th, 2011 9:15 am

@Adam Is your group and old one or a new one?

@Dena You really ought to contact Facebook.

@Walethia Request to join submitted. :-)

5. Nelly Paekukui on May 9th, 2011 9:31 am

Very informative post on a very informative site. Thank you for sharing some tips here in order to keep us up to date with social networking.

Aloha,

Nelly

6. Eleanor on May 9th, 2011 10:38 am

This post has been really helpful for someone like me thinking of setting up a Facebook group. Lots to think about from this.

Many thanks
    Eleanor

7. Steve-Personal Success Factors on May 9th, 2011 12:55 pm

Hi, Larry: despite the drawbacks, I’ve really enjoyed your groups and another training group I’m part of: (it’s a closed and private group). By the way, even though I was born in 1968, I have asked for your permission to join your Fabulous Baby Boomer’s group :)

8. monideepa on May 10th, 2011 12:00 am

Excellent article. I totally agree with your views. I’m tired of wasting time wading through pointless trivia and labyrinthine detours to access anything of interest to me.

But then it can result in some useful new contacts. Looking forward to your future posts for further tips and views.

9. Dena Gottlieb on May 11th, 2011 2:40 am

At the risk of sounding extremely stupid - how does one contact Facebook? I haven’t figured it out yet.
    Thanks
    Dena

10. Kent Ryan on May 11th, 2011 5:06 am

Thanks for this post.. Its really helpful,.. Actually from the above problem of Dena, I think when your posting something in your private group, they are the only one seeing that post.. Its just notifying you on your wall, but actually other people can’t see it in your profile.. Hmm..

Thanks for this post,.. Hope to read more in the future.. Some tips,..

11. Gera on May 11th, 2011 11:24 am

Hi Larrry,

I’ve had this problem with FB groups, in some cases I was added to unrelated ones and bombarded in few hours with tens of emails. I know it’s a fault of FB and not of the members, but as an owner you’d know that problem, asking first if they want to be added.

Not all the cases are the same, so thanks for adding me to the SU one :)

Cheers,

Gera

12. Don E. Chute on May 11th, 2011 9:23 pm

Larry- This post came along at the right time. I plan on getting much more involved in social media, as I have more time on my hands since ending involvement in EC.

I have asked permission to join a couple of your groups, and I have subscribed to you via email. I would greatly appreciate it if you could do the same.

Look forward to studying your techniques more closely.

13. Larry Brauner on May 12th, 2011 8:16 am

Thanks Don. I’ll miss you at Entrecard, but I’ll be happy to see you more here on my blog and on Facebook.

14. jj-momscashblog on May 12th, 2011 10:09 pm

Hi Larry, I’ve always look forward to what you have to say in your writings. You haven’t disappointed me in this post. I have to tell you that Facebook is really a pain to keep up with, it takes time away from different things that need to done when you have a website/blog…in my humble opinion. However I also don’t have the pr or ratings that you do so maybe I should get over the pain and try to keep up with it and do a little more socializing for the sake of my business. Thanks for the inspiration! jj

15. Project management on May 15th, 2011 5:28 am

I use Facebook groups mostly for collaboration but i didn’t know you can be added to new Facebook groups without your approval. Thanks for the info.

16. social media news on May 20th, 2011 3:33 pm

As to the above problem of Dena, I think when your posting something in your private group, they are the only one seeing that post.

17. Amelia @ International Business on June 1st, 2011 7:58 pm

For me, the new Facebook Group is both better and worse.

Better because it promotes instant connectivity with each other. Access and distribution of materials that interest the group is now easy.

Worse because it can be a ground for scammers and spammers. I was also alarmed by the new Facebook group system wherein an admin can just add users to the group without pre-approval.

18. New Secret to Gaining Followers on Facebook | Online Social Networking on August 7th, 2011 9:52 pm

[…] New Facebook Groups for Better or Worse […]