Larry BraunerI stated in How to Benefit from the New Facebook Groups that “you don’t need to lead a group in order to benefit from it.” In other words, there is value in joining other people’s Facebook groups. That value can be enormous, as I’ll explain.

Facebook Group Members Become Followers

FacebookEvery new Facebook group has members who follow that group and all of its conversations by means of the Facebook notification system. Not every member will monitor or engage in discussions, but some will. Therefore, each time you become a member of one of the new Facebook groups, you acquire potential new followers.

For each subject that interests you, join as many relevant new Facebook groups as you can find using the Facebook search function. Once you’ve joined the group and can browse its discussions, if you find that they’re in a language you don’t understand, or that the group is overrun by spammers, leave the group.

Examine the list of new Facebook groups to which I belong. You’ll find that they fall into a many categories, and that most categories contain more than one group. I suggest that you follow a similar approach, and if you wish to join some of the same groups as I, don’t hesitate.

Here are three very important points:

1. Don’t use the new Facebook groups merely to push out your own content, since that’s spam. Group members will see through your approach and ignore you. Not only that, the group moderator might even reprimand you or expel you from the group.
  2. Share content with each Facebook group that’s relevant to that group. Group members will appreciate you, enjoy your participation and become genuine followers.
  3. Don’t just post. “Like” other people’s posts too and comment on them when appropriate.

As I browse the web, I keep my eyes open for content worth sharing. I then share it in a variety of places including the relevant  new Facebook groups to which I belong. When the time comes to share my own content, I follow the exact same procedure, but because I’ve played fair, my posts aren’t viewed at all as spam. Consequently, I receive lots of traffic from Facebook and other social websites.

Go now and acquire some Facebook followers. The relationships you build in the new Facebook groups can easily grow into meaningful social or business friendships.

Before you go, however, please do subscribe and leave a comment. ;-)

Sharing is Caring! Use the handy SHARE widget.

Tags: , , ,

Comments

It will look like this: New Secret to Gaining Followers on Facebook

21 Responses to “New Secret to Gaining Followers on Facebook”

1. Tommy Stern on August 7th, 2011 9:59 pm

Could you describe how people friend you and how much time you invest?

2. Alice Coaxum on August 7th, 2011 11:17 pm

I agree there is much value in joining the Facebook groups of others. I have been doing that lately.

It’s a great way to make new connections as long as you follow the rules of the group. Some groups are for sharing marketing information and techniques and some others that I have joined are based around talking about your business or adding new friends.

3. Ryan on August 7th, 2011 11:41 pm

My favorite tech is calling an ad an “example” it gives you the benefit of the doubt and puts the host in an uncertain spot where they can’t nail you down for pumping ads. They’re examples, akin to “case studies” which resemble the aura of a scientific approach.

It’s a good way to ring your bell that many more times before the unsure moderator becomes certain and issues their first reprimand. Clever :) Taking an anti-spam position to stretch the benefit of the doubt is its own level.

We used to do this a couple years ago in REI and called it poaching, then everyone started doing it. Then unfortunately outsourcers and blackhat automation pretty much closed pool, but building authority first and rockin’ they grey area of the benefit of the doubt seems like a great way to maintain the fine line.

I forgot how group owners have the default innate need to see the size of their group grow which is the perfect niche for this technique.

Kudos Larry!

4. Ryan Biddulph on August 7th, 2011 11:46 pm

Hi,

Solid and practical tips here.

Use Facebook groups to spread the word about your opportunity by spreading the word about other’s opportunities. Leave insightful comments, and always be sure to share other group member’s content across social networks.

Thanks for sharing.

RB

5. Michael Cohn on August 8th, 2011 5:45 am

The same approach applies also to Facebook pages. The difference is that it doesn’t rely on the notification system. Instead members of the Facebook page will see your post in their stream. And since Facebook pages are supposed to handle larger audience, your posts have the chance to be viewed by more people.

6. The Substantive Mom on August 8th, 2011 7:56 am

Thanks for the tip and guidelines. I’ve considered joining Facebook groups, but I was unsure of how to go about it. Now I realize the benefits and how not to be identified as a spammer. I wanted to gain loyal followers, but I also wanted to be fair and considerate.

7. Nazbir on August 8th, 2011 12:38 pm

I do agree with your theory, though I do not spend much time in Facebook groups. But I think I will give it a try. Thanks for sharing it in detail.

Regards
    Nazbir

8. Carla J Gardiner on August 8th, 2011 12:51 pm

Thank you Larry for yet another awesome article providing key tips to help us build our Facebook following. Your information and expertise has been instrumental in helping me to learn social media, relationships in business and more. Now I’m off to find some groups of like minded business owners that I connect with.

9. Larry Brauner on August 8th, 2011 1:13 pm

@Tommy Please refer to 10 Tips for Making Facebook Business Friends and 10 Tips for Making Facebook Business Friends. The amount of time you’ll spend will depend on your objectives and level of commitment.

@Michael In theory you might be correct. However, in practice, there are three impediments to the implementation of your approach:

1. It usually takes substantial time to develop a substantial Facebook page following.
    2. Your content will not always appear in news feeds. It depends upon something called Facebook Edge Rank.
    3. Many Facebook members do not keep track of their news feeds.

Facebook business pages are valuable, but the approach I present here has skyrocketed my traffic and engagement.

10. Martha Giffen on August 9th, 2011 6:53 am

Great advice! The FB groups are my meat and potatoes. It’s where so many of my followers have come from. I haven’t started a group of my own yet because so far, I haven’t seen the need! BTW, found your blog through our Mastermind Blogging FB group!

11. Sherrie Koretke on August 9th, 2011 11:54 am

Excellent! You gave me a whole new way of looking at Facebook groups. Thank you!
    Sherrie

12. Aloha - Lani on August 12th, 2011 12:30 am

Aloha Larry, nice post and rational tips. Facebook sure has improved with creativity and groups to utilize. I enjoy reading and commenting and sharing the word. Here’s proof: I’m here reciprocating. I saw your cool information on Facebook. Glad I came by and thanks for sharing! Mahalo, Lani :)

13. dwacon on August 14th, 2011 3:43 pm

I have a few groups but that strategy isn’t working. Will keep trying though…

14. Larry Brauner on August 14th, 2011 4:04 pm

Join lots of other people’s groups too, and make sure that you interact with other members, as I suggested above.

15. Jodi Landa on August 14th, 2011 6:04 pm

I like this approach and it makes lot of sense. I have created my own groups and then waited for people to join, but it wasn’t happening. Jumping into existing groups that already has members sounds a lot easier. Thanks for the great idea.

16. Larry Brauner on August 14th, 2011 8:02 pm

It is easier Jodi.

The way I get people to join my groups is to ask if I can add them, especially at the time that we first connect. I also publicize them on my blog and on profiles on social sites.

17. Charity on August 20th, 2011 7:31 pm

Great ideas here… Many people are confused by Facebook pages and groups, and how to effectively use them in their business. It is definitely a “slow and steady wins the race” kind of approach.

Charity

18. Debby Bruck on August 20th, 2011 9:29 pm

Lovely ideas, Larry. I especially like the variety of ways to interact and share with others what you learn. Blessings, Debby

19. Amelia @ International Business on August 26th, 2011 1:03 pm

You really made a sound point there, Larry. Actually, joining groups to gain followers is something I haven’t really thought of. And people here are right. As long as you’re willing to stick to the rules, these groups make excellent venues to create new connections.

20. Facebook Has Its Cake and Eats It | Online Social Networking on September 18th, 2011 11:20 pm

[…] New Secret to Gaining Followers on Facebook […]

21. Kelly~ Local SEO on January 5th, 2012 2:12 pm

What I love about joining Facebook group is finding or having people that have the same interest as mine.