Larry BraunerThe beta test of my new Ning business networking site has uncovered a troublesome glitch in the Ning sign- up system that makes it more difficult for new members to join.

A new member trying to sign up gets a Ning error message rejecting the inputted password, even though the person has never even registered for the new site!

What’s happening is that Ning recognizes the user’s email from when that person joined another Ning site at a time in the past, and now Ning expects the same password previously associated with that email.

When new members can’t remember their old passwords, trouble begins, because every attempt to reset it will be unsuccessful. Registration hasn’t been completed, therefore the new site will be unable to reset the password. Catch-22!

How to Deal with the Ning Problem

Here are four ways to deal with the Ning glitch:

1. Try very hard to remember or figure out your old password. You’ll be able to change it later.
  2. Try to register with an email address you’ve never ever used before on Ning.
  3. Reset your password at the Ning site. After resetting your password, ignore Ning’s invitation to set up a new site, and go directly to register for the site where you encountered the problem. Reset Your Ning Password ACCEPTED SOLUTION
  4. Wait who knows how long for Ning to fix the problem.

My new business networking site is Small Business Networking, serving entrepreneurs and small businesses worldwide. You don’t need to have a business to join. You can join for getting business ideas, searching for a new job or whatever else might make sense.

See you there, Ning permitting. :-P

Tags: , ,

Comments

It will look like this: Ning Sign-Up Glitch Work Around

19 Responses to “Ning Sign-Up Glitch Work Around”

1. SEO Link Building on August 6th, 2010 8:19 pm

Fascinating post… Have you tried dealing with this bug (note the correct word, not “glitch”) by contacting Ning support? That would bring the hope of a permanent fix! (And it doesn’t sound hard to fix.) Thanks for keeping your blog alive, its always a nice distraction from me from mind-boggling link building and other SEO routines. :)

2. Jack Goldenberg on August 6th, 2010 9:20 pm

I had a cousin who had a glitch in Ning, but he he had it removed and now he can play the piano. Which is weird because he couldn’t play before.

Hope you get it all worked out. Schwartznegger and I “will be back!”

Jack

3. robyn on August 7th, 2010 10:58 am

Larry

this is a problem also for existing members of Ning sites - you have to log in and I know my password is still the same/not changed, but I got the same thing signing into the Ning site of yours for small business as I am getting for my existing sites. I have almost given up getting into my other Ning sites because all I keep getting is a page to set up a Ning group.

4. Larry Brauner on August 7th, 2010 10:11 pm

@Philip (SEO Link Building), thanks for your comment.

I purposely did not use the word bug, since I thought it might bug Ning more than glitch or problem would.

I submitted a trouble ticket with Ning yesterday morning, and it’s still open. I also tweeted @Ning and was retweeted.. but no response yet from Ning.

Now that I have two new Ning business networking sites, I’m going to resume blogging more frequently about using Ning and Ning problems I find.

@Jack, than you for sharing.

@Robyn, feel free to contact me directly if you can’t get it worked out.

5. Brad West on August 7th, 2010 10:24 pm

If you forgot your password you should be able to go to the main Ning site and do a forgot password. Or go to another site you belonged to and try to retrieve it there. Worth a try.

6. Larry Brauner on August 7th, 2010 10:38 pm

I had mentioned your second part of advice in #3 and I adding in the first part.

7. Alex Posicionamiento Web on August 8th, 2010 6:09 am

Ning sites are not really familiar to me, but I’ve heard some negative feedback that made me search for more about Ning sites. Now that I found this article, I understand more about what Ning sties are. The content of this article is really useful to a lot of people, especially to those who are engaging or frequently using Ning sites.

Thank you for sharing this!

Alex

8. Margie Basaraba on August 9th, 2010 9:32 am

Larry - I am having another problem with NING that I am not getting resolved - have you any suggestions - I got kicked off & it says that “My Profile has been disabled” if I feel it is in error - which of course it has to be!!! to contact them - been 7 days now no response - Anyone have any suggestions??!! I am on a lot of ning sites :(

9. Larry Brauner on August 9th, 2010 9:39 am

Margie,

If you cannot log into any Ning sites, you were banned because the site owner felt that you were spamming.

There are different types of social media spam, and very often, people who spam don’t even realize that they’re spamming.

How long has it been since you contacted Ning?

10. Margie Basaraba on August 9th, 2010 10:23 am

6 days

11. Larry Brauner on August 9th, 2010 10:28 am

That’s unfortunate Margie. I suggest that for now, you follow the suggestion I made in my Facebook message.

12. stefanie on August 9th, 2010 3:09 pm

People who I have invited to my Ning network are having trouble logging in. I tried to get them in myself with their email and a password. When that didn’t work, I did a test with my second email (not the one I use for my Ning network) and a new password. (I’ve never used this email for a Ning Network). Nothing works! Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Stefanie

13. Larry Brauner on August 9th, 2010 3:54 pm

Did you try method #3, resetting your password the main Ning site (http://bit.ly/a2WkCI)

14. Debby Bruck on August 10th, 2010 8:17 pm

Dear Fellow Ning users,

I also have a NING network since April 2009 and have come across this very same problem for a number of my most valuable featured members.

NING is using some algorithm that kicks people out when they think they are spamming. I’ve sent Help Tickets for each of these people and one very persistent member took 2 months for him to get logged back in.

I believe that NING is aware of this problem and if member or potential member and NING administrator send messages, the person will be able to get back in. Please be patient and keep ‘bugging’ NING HELP DESK.

In addition, they have recently upgraded the back-end and you have more ability to moderate your members.

NING has been sending a few surveys lately to improve their support to administrators.

You can search NING CREATORS for similar discussions

Debby

15. Larry Brauner on August 10th, 2010 8:22 pm

Thank you Debby for providing us with additional information that might apply to some of the people having Ning difficulties.

16. Larry Brauner on August 15th, 2010 1:38 pm

#3 as revised is the accepted solution.

17. Larry Brauner on August 26th, 2010 5:16 pm

Ning customer service has reported that this bug has been fixed by their software engineers. Please comment here if you still have problems with this.

18. robyn on October 2nd, 2010 10:05 pm

Still not working - I can’t sign into any of my Ning networks, and I have reset my password. Not that there was a problem with it - still no luck with signing into groups.

Haven’t tried the other email as I know my current email/password are right.

19. Ivan - Comunidad Beta on January 2nd, 2012 12:19 am

Thanks Debby for providing us with additional information that could be applied to some of the people who have difficulty Ning.