Many businesses are trying to reach out on Facebook using only a Facebook personal profile and no Facebook business page, while at the same time, many other businesses are trying to cultivate multiple Facebook business pages. Let’s consider both of these strategies to understand why either is problematic.
No Facebook Business Page
I presented several reasons for not using a Facebook personal profile in the place of a Facebook business page in 7 Issues to Consider About Doing Business on Facebook.
Here are 10 reasons to use a Facebook business page for business instead of a Facebook personal profile:
- Facebook members who wish to follow your business will typically feel less comfortable adding you as friend and opening their private lives to you than merely connecting with your Facebook business page by “liking” it.
- In addition, Facebook has created barriers to adding strangers as friends, as I explained in 3 Key Social Media and Web Marketing Strategies for 2011: Good-Bye Facebook Open Networking.
- Mixing business and pleasure on Facebook personal profiles is often complicated.
- Because of these limitations, Facebook personal profiles will not grow virally, but Facebook business pages might.
- Facebook personal profile friends are limited to 5,000, but there is no limit on the number of Facebook business page fans.
- Facebook business-page content can be indexed by the search engines, but Facebook personal-profile content cannot. Facebook business pages can make use of search engines and SEO.
- There can be multiple Facebook business page administrators, and their identities will be shielded from visitors and fans. This feature offers Facebook business page administrators flexibility and some degree of privacy.
- Facebook business pages support applications and tabs. Personal page application tabs have gone away.
- Facebook business page administrators can send updates to fans. Some, not all, of the fans will actually read them, but this feature still has value.
- Facebook business pages come equipped by Facebook with a set of analytic tools called Facebook Insights.
Multiple Facebook Business Pages
Want more than one Facebook business page for your business? Build and grow your first Facebook business page successfully. Then, if you still want, we can discuss having multiple Facebook business pages together.
|Did you enjoy this article? Subscribe to my RSS feed or by e-mail. Visit my About, Services, Media Buzz and Connect pages to learn about Building Your Audience and Brand on the Web. See also my Disclosure Policy regarding affiliations and compensation.|
|Sharing is Caring! Use the handy SHARE widget.|