Larry BraunerGenerally speaking, a business entity on Facebook needs a Facebook business page, one Facebook business page, no more, no fewer.

Many businesses are trying to reach out on Facebook using only a Facebook personal profile and no Facebook business page, while at the same time, many other businesses are trying to cultivate multiple Facebook business pages. Let’s consider both of these strategies to understand why either is problematic.

No Facebook Business Page

FacebookI presented several reasons for not using a Facebook personal profile in the place of a Facebook business page in 7 Issues to Consider About Doing Business on Facebook.

Here are 10 reasons to use a Facebook business page for business instead of a Facebook personal profile:

1. Facebook members who wish to follow your business will typically feel less comfortable adding you as friend and opening their private lives to you than merely connecting with your Facebook business page by “liking” it.
  2. In addition, Facebook has created barriers to adding strangers as friends, as I explained in 3 Key Social Media and Web Marketing Strategies for 2011: Good-Bye Facebook Open Networking.
  3. Mixing business and pleasure on Facebook personal profiles is often complicated.
  4. Because of these limitations, Facebook personal profiles will not grow virally, but Facebook business pages might.
  5. Facebook personal profile friends are limited to 5,000, but there is no limit on the number of Facebook business page fans.
  6. Facebook business-page content can be indexed by the search engines, but Facebook personal-profile content cannot. Facebook business pages can make use of search engines and SEO.
  7. There can be multiple Facebook business page administrators, and their identities will be shielded from visitors and fans. This feature offers Facebook business page administrators flexibility and some degree of privacy.
  8. Facebook business pages support applications and tabs. Personal page application tabs have gone away.
  9. Facebook business page administrators can send updates to fans. Some, not all, of the fans will actually read them, but this feature still has value.
  10. Facebook business pages come equipped by Facebook with a set of analytic tools called Facebook Insights.

Multiple Facebook Business Pages

Want more than one Facebook business page for your business? Build and grow your first Facebook business page successfully. Then, if you still want, we can discuss having multiple Facebook business pages together. ;-)

Now please, “like” my Facebook business page, subscribe to my blog and leave me a comment.

Sharing is Caring! Use the handy SHARE widget.

Tags: ,

Comments

It will look like this: ONE Facebook Business Page, No More, No Fewer

24 Responses to “ONE Facebook Business Page, No More, No Fewer”

1. Chuck Bartok on January 16th, 2011 11:22 pm

And I appreciate the Insights very much.
    We need systems to track our activities and ROI.
    Coupling the Facebook insights with our other systems allows our client to sure they are enjoying the highest ROI
    As I always say, Larry..You are TOPS!

2. Art of RetroCollage on January 17th, 2011 12:26 am

I’ve worked on growing my fan page. What seems difficult is that I would like my fan page to be tied not just to me but also to my wife who is also an administrator. If she logs in as herself, even though she is an admin for our business page, everything she does is only in her name, not the business’s name. Annoying.

3. Larry Brauner on January 17th, 2011 12:37 am

I wonder if you have a new type Facebook page to which you have to log in as the page. Send me a private Facebook message, if you want me to help.

4. Jamie Gorman on January 17th, 2011 8:36 am

This addresses one of the most commonly asked questions from my small business students. Now I can answer and give them a good article to read as backup! I don’t typically include links, but we have an educational webinar tomorrow addressing topics just like this.

Thanks,
    Jamie

PS I’d like to hear the answer to Art’s question too. Hopefully we will see it as a post once you figure it out!

5. Karin on January 17th, 2011 12:11 pm

I am not sure why there are still so many who do not understand the difference between a personal Facebook page and a business page. Fact is that a lot of people do not realize the difference. I hope that those people find your story.

6. John on January 17th, 2011 7:19 pm

Hey Larry,

I liked your number 3 reason to not use a Facebook personal profile for business. Mixing business with pleasure has always been a bad idea, and social media is no exception. I am one of those who see the benefit of creating multiple Facebook business pages.

7. Larry Brauner on January 17th, 2011 7:36 pm

Hi John,

I happen to like mixing business and personal, but I understand that many (most?) people don’t.

As far as creating multiple Facebook business pages is concerned, it sounds like a good idea until you realize how hard it is to attain critical mass on even one Facebook page.

8. Unlimited Reverse Phone Lookup on January 18th, 2011 7:15 am

I too think that one Facebook page is enough. If it’s more than one then, your visitors might get fed up.

9. srvaliente blog seo on January 19th, 2011 6:37 am

It is the great problem of facebook, it all comes together. The private and personal business. Should do something to protect an area of another.

10. Michael Cohn on January 19th, 2011 7:00 pm

What about a Facebook Place for your business? And should we or shouldn’t we merge the Facebook Place with the Facebook Page?

11. Karla Campos on January 19th, 2011 8:33 pm

I have worked to create many business pages including some recreational pages. Your list above will be very helpful in explaining the difference between a personal page and business page to clients and friends, thanks!

12. Larry Brauner on January 19th, 2011 9:55 pm

@Michael It seems to me that it would depend on how local one’s business is.

13. Debby Bruck on January 20th, 2011 12:00 am

Nice list. This common technique always draws readers. The tried and true methods are worth repeating. Go back and do it again. Great blog, Larry ❤ƸӜƷ❤

14. Larry Brauner on January 20th, 2011 9:38 am

Thank you Debby. ❤2U2❤

15. 16 Tips for Ning Social Networking | Online Social Networking on January 31st, 2011 1:13 am

[…] ONE Facebook Business Page, No More, No Fewer […]

16. Carl on January 31st, 2011 6:50 am

I have just set up a personal and [business] Facebook page. My problem is when I post on someone else’s wall, my personal name shows, not my business page name. I have searched for solution to this but can’t find it.

17. Larry Brauner on January 31st, 2011 4:29 pm

Carl,

That’s the way it works. Only people, not pages can post.

Facebook seems to be considering changing that.

For now, all you can do is tag your business page when you post, but that will also generate an entry on your business page.

18. Carl on February 1st, 2011 6:12 am

Thanks Larry, I spent hours trying to figure that out. I wish Facebook would make things more clear.

19. Larry Brauner on February 1st, 2011 9:44 am

Unfortunately, Carl, not only aren’t procedures well documented, they’re subject to change without notice.

I do think, however, that Facebook is better than average at communicating with its members.

20. Randy Brickhouse Sr. on February 5th, 2011 11:36 pm

Okay Larry, I’ve liked your Facebook page and subscribed to your blog. Now, I have a question. I’m 9 months in with my website. I did a Facebook profile page and I’m using it for my business.

I found out about the business page much later. I have a lot of content on the profile page. Is there a way to turn that profile page into a business page, or transfer the content to a business page? If it’s okay, I’d like to reach out to your readers as well.

Thanks and God bless.

21. Larry Brauner on February 5th, 2011 11:43 pm

My suggestion, Randy, is that you leave you Facebook personal profile intact, and that you launch a Facebook business profile in addition (if you want one). You would then re-focus your marketing efforts on the Facebook business page and support it with your Facebook personal profile.

22. Social Media – Blogging – Internet Tools – Foodies: Best of the Week on February 14th, 2011 4:53 pm

[…] * ONE Facebook Business Page, No More, No Fewer […]

23. Ease of a Facebook Business Page | Websites for Small Biz on June 14th, 2011 3:29 pm

[…] Read Larry Brauner on ONE Facebook Business Page, No More, No Fewer […]

24. 10 Tips for Inviting People to Facebook Events | Online Social Networking on September 12th, 2011 8:58 am

[…] the event or an article that you write about it on your business page, your personal profile and in Facebook groups catering to your […]