I just made my first video, a replay of my August 8, 2007 conference call.

It’s too long to upload to YouTube, so I uploaded it to Google.

It’s all about offline and online social networking, and about how networking differs from advertising. Hope you like it!

I recommend looking and listening, especially if you’ve ever used Direct Matches or any of the other social networking sites. Without further ado, here’s my video.

If it doesn’t play right away, try again. Google sometimes needs coaxing. If the situation gets desperate, download it from the Online Social Networking video archive.

Did you enjoy this article? Subscribe to my RSS feed or by e-mail. Also, visit my About, Services, Media Buzz and Connect pages to learn about me and my social media and web marketing services.

Tags: , , , , , ,

Comments

It will look like this: Social Networking vs. Advertising

18 Responses to “Social Networking vs. Advertising”

1. Larry Brauner Conference Call on March 25th, 2008 5:17 pm
  2. Larry Brauner on March 25th, 2008 7:11 pm

Marcus Hochstadt is not only an excellent blogger and marketer, he’s very generous too. I very much appreciate his Larry Brauner Conference Call post and his kind words.

I highly recommend that you visit his Internet Business Guide For First Class Progress and subscribe to his e-mail updates.

3. Joseph Quinn on March 26th, 2008 2:08 pm

Larry is absolutely correct in his tele-seminar. Using the social networking sites to increase your online Rolodex does work.

4. Michelle on March 26th, 2008 6:06 pm

Hi Larry - great advice and well said.

Social Networking will not bring you direct sales - I know from experience only advertising and hard work will accomplish this.

I can blog and connect with other bloggers until my hands fall off and I won’t get a single sale. However, I have increased my business exposure, made great contacts and friends, and I find it allows me to connect with my customers better. Plus, I really enjoy it.

The key is to be sincere and like you said, don’t expect to take without being able to give.

Thanks!

5. Martin Russell on March 27th, 2008 11:55 pm

Love this info Larry!

Follows neatly from a path I am leading my readers on at the moment. I’ll send them across to this.

I like a concept from Jordan Adler that he calls “swap and drop”. What he means is 1. Swap business cards, then rather than a phone call first which can sometimes be a bit awkward 2. Drop them a “Great to Meet You, Let’s Catch Up” greeting card, then follow-up by phone. All with the focus on THEM first just as you say.

6. Word of Mouth Marketing For Small Business on March 28th, 2008 6:26 am
  7. Sam Carrara on March 28th, 2008 8:02 am

Thanks for the great information. I just recently got an invite from someone to Yuwie. I’ll have to look at that and your other suggestion of Direct Matches. I’ve been to those Chamber of Commerce meetings, great fun.
    Thanks, Sam

8. agri on March 28th, 2008 3:57 pm

Great little video/vlog.

I particularly like the example about “pressing the delete” key on an e-mail ad reply vs having to get away in a chamber of commerce, “real world” setting.

9. Promoting Politely: What’s Naughty and Nice Business Etiquette on Social Networks « Web 2.0 For Small Biz on January 28th, 2009 7:43 pm

[…] Social Networking vs Advertising. An alternative to advertising in a social network.  Your strategy should be to listen to what the other person does and introducing them to a resource or potential client.  Give to get. […]

10. Shaun on July 30th, 2010 3:15 pm

Great advice and love some of the helpful info on your site regarding social networking. Will be implementing more of this as I try and build up my own site. Thanks

11. Wedding Video on February 22nd, 2011 10:16 am

Yep, top advice, Larry, cheers!

12. DaveN on August 28th, 2011 6:31 pm

Excellent presentation and information!

I couldn’t agree more with your points on social media. To me social media is definitely about building a relationship with your customers, visitors, etc…

I think those who are using it as a means for a hard sale and those who are not giving value to their visitors but only wish to get or benefit from, are shooting themselves in the foot over the long term.

Social media is one of the strongest mediums in my opinion right now and those who have it figured out will be the ones to truly succeed.

Thanks again for the great info and helping to get the right vision out there…

13. Jordan on October 11th, 2011 6:28 am

In his video he emphasized that for people to have an impact on others, it is important to build a good relationship in the initial stage of acquaintance. This can be done in ways like extending assistance and creating a good impression. A very traditional behavior and yet has become uncommon to many in this time and age. Well said.

Webmaster, businessforsalesydney.com
    Manufacturing Business

14. Corky on October 24th, 2011 2:13 pm

Thanks again for this amazing information! I think that we all need to remember, especially in this era of technology that we need to form strong bonds and relationships with our customers. They are the reason I am here doing what I am doing. :)

The people who are the ones that succeed with social media are the ones that remember it is about people first, then comes the money.

You have helped me in so many ways! Thanks so much!!

*Corky

15. Ann Glenister on November 8th, 2011 10:54 am

Great video, and very thought provoking. In general terms I believed I understood the concept of social marketing but this made me stop in my tracks and think again — may do some things differently as a result, so many thanks.

Ann

16. Bert on March 26th, 2012 5:54 pm

I watched you video and even though a few years have passed since you put this up, there is still a lot of relevance to it, especially where you talking about “expanding your circles/influence”.

What has really caught my attention in regards to the social realm as of late (Panda) is how much weight is being put on the social signals. A site with a lot of backlinks and no one talking about it looks very suspicious.

Anyway, just a thought and an observation for you.

Thx,
    Bert

17. Larry Brauner on March 26th, 2012 7:28 pm

Thanks Bert. This video is a blast from the past. I have since changed careers and am head of social media and marketing at a high-end watchmaker and watch distributor.

I’m happy to that I believe a lot more people are “getting it” now compared to five years ago. It’s all about influence and reputation.

As far as the relationship between search and social, I agree completely with you.

18. Ryan Bryce on July 12th, 2012 5:17 am

“If it doesn’t play right away, try again. Google sometimes needs coaxing.” Google is becoming more like a wife every day. First it prompts you before you have finished and now it needs coaxing.