Spammers follow the path of least resistance. If you create a new opportunity for spam, spammers will exploit it.

Spammers have noticed that Facebook fan pages are gaining popularity and have started capitalizing on fan page vulnerability.

Facebook Fan Page and Event Page Spam

FacebookTo spam a Facebook fan page is very simple. Spammers add themselves as fans of the Facebook page and then post their spam directly on the fan page wall — hit and run. The spam remains on the page wall until an administrator removes it.

Spammers can also spam the wall of a Facebook fan page discussion tab or an event page.

Other Facebook Spam

Spammers are also posting their links on NetworkedBlogs discussion walls. Fortunately, NetworkedBlogs discussion walls aren’t prominently displayed, and there isn’t much incentive for spammers to post there.

Well meaning Facebook friends frequently sign-up to use silly applications that seem harmless and fun. These applications then spam their Facebook friends’ profile pages.

Sadly, the proliferation of annoying applications has permanently driven many serious networkers off of Facebook in despair.

Top 10 Most Wanted Spammers

I hope that between now and next April 1 we can create a top spammer list and shame spammers into submission. We’ll post the list in post offices and big stores, as well as on web sites and, of course, on Facebook fan pages.

Spamming on Facebook fan pages and elsewhere on Facebook is indeed a real problem. I’m sorry, however, for using a misleading title. Please forgive my once-a-year April Fools prank.  ;-)

Tags: , ,

Comments

It will look like this: Top 10 Most Wanted Spammers

19 Responses to “Top 10 Most Wanted Spammers”

1. Dawn McNutt on April 1st, 2010 2:18 pm

Ya got me. I clicked. Didn’t see the Top 10, and had a chuckle. :)

2. Larry Brauner on April 1st, 2010 2:20 pm

The article was a real article, Dawn. Only the title was bogus.

3. Laura on April 1st, 2010 3:06 pm

Excellent article as usual Larry! It got my attention and I clicked it. Good one!!!

4. Steve on April 1st, 2010 3:29 pm

Larry, it’s good to see you are doing well with the humor :) I found myself searching the article for those 10 most wanted, but had no luck until I read April Fools! :)

5. Kathi Calahan on April 1st, 2010 6:09 pm

Hi Larry:

Great article. May I recommend sending all email spams to spam@uce.gov

They like going after the thugs. :)

6. susie hawes on April 1st, 2010 8:42 pm

cute. :D

7. globalwarming on April 3rd, 2010 4:34 am

I like it!!!

8. Mirdza on April 3rd, 2010 9:53 pm

Yes, spammers are everywhere on Facebook and other online sites. I guess they have nothing better to do with their life, sadly enough.

9. SEO Intro on April 7th, 2010 6:20 am

Hah, I missed April 1 (well, not the day! but I didn’t see this article on April 1 or before). Still got a laugh out of it now. Yes, spam is everywhere: in email, in search engines (less on Google than on Yahoo and Bing — as an SEO I have seen and analyzed a lot of it!), but especially on Facebook. It starts with phony friend requests and extends to pages and groups. Funny, although Facebook makes it very easy to report spam, and reporting it consistently should certainly report its amount, no one seems to be doing it. I wonder if genuine communications exist on Facebook outside of personal messages, personal walls, notes and even invites. The groups and pages seem completely overrun. Which is a pity. Facebook is not used much for public communication, it is very static this way. People join hundreds of groups but don’t use any of them. And all that spam is pretty ineffectual, no one reads it. When I get spam in personal messages in Facebook I report it.

10. Anonymous on May 7th, 2010 5:37 am

This is why FB has become worthless to me. They had a good thing going when they locked everyone in college students out. Now I’ve left for a new college only site.

Page admins don’t monitor their pages enough, and people don’t know how to create groups that lock out people who are not in your network because they’re too incompetent to join or create a network or set the group to private.

11. Crafty Cockney on April 8th, 2011 1:32 pm

This one continues to fool us even a year+ later. I scrolled around looking for the list and have to admit that I was a little disappointed to find out this was a year old AFJ - well done sir, well done.

12. Health Information on May 4th, 2011 12:21 am

This fooled me alright. Tried to scroll down the post hoping to read the full article, hehehe…that’s a good one!

13. Brett m on May 17th, 2011 10:26 am

lol. The bigger something is, the more pruned it is in getting hacked. From Data, to Connectivity, theirs only so much one can do to keep it secure. And most of the time, we cant stop the hack until we catch it. Facebook is an awesome site though :)

14. Phoenix BMW on May 19th, 2011 6:20 am

Facebook has become an everyday ritual for most people using the net. It most definitely is an easy target for spammers. People owning and administering Facebook fan pages should regularly keep a check on what is happening on their pages. They should also keep their pages updated. This will not only catch spam activity, but also keep the fans informed and updated.

These are some insightful articles. Good Read!

Brett M Williams
    Webmaster, AZBMW

15. Lorna on June 3rd, 2011 6:48 am

I know I am a bit late, but I would like to say that you are completely right. Facebook is a prime hot spot for spammers; my news feed regularly is clogged up with spam and it’s really annoying!

I love your articles, they are very candid, thanks for sharing them!

Lorna

16. Gregor on June 12th, 2011 3:19 am

Clever way of catching the readers’ attention! But seriously, i was really hoping that you have the ten most wanted spammers listed there! but oh well!

17. Billie on June 22nd, 2011 10:07 am

Facebook has been a medium for almost everything under the sun. Great opportunity for spammers too. Oh well, we just have to be very careful of what we post, don’t just click on links and pay attention on our privacy settings.

18. cord bloodbank on December 28th, 2011 3:52 am

Nice one Larry! You got me. I thought you have the complete list of the worlds wanted spammers but its good article though.

19. Andrew on April 12th, 2012 1:00 pm

This shouldn’t surprise anyone, as the article suggests, that if a spammer is able to use a site to his/her advantage, expect it to happen.

I am going to say there is irony in the April fools joke here. Spammers will typically use catchy phrases that don’t provide the desired result.

Larry just became #1 on the top ten list of spammers. :D