Larry BraunerI’m not at all thinking about quitting Twitter or stopping to recommend it. Twitter is a valuable social media tool that I wouldn’t want to be without.

There are, however, many reasons I prefer Facebook over Twitter, and have switched my primary social media site from Twitter to Facebook.

Facebook vs. Twitter

Here are 16 reasons I like Facebook more than I like Twitter:

1. Easier for Group Discussion - Facebook discussions and neatly threaded and hashtags are unnecessary.
  2. Rich Functionality - Facebook supports applications, events and instant messaging. Facebook also enables photo, video, link, page and event sharing.
  3. More Powerful Lists - Create as many Facebook lists as you like and use them to manage both communication and privacy.
  4. Better Private Messaging - No automated direct messaging on Facebook. Therefore, your private messages and updates are more manageable.
  5. Less Spam Abuse - Facebook fights spam more effectively than Twitter.
  6. News Feed Optimized for Relevance - Facebook uses edgerank to prioritize our Top News feeds. Optionally, we can choose to view Twitter-like Most Recent News, as well.
  7. True Networking Site - We can create deep online connections with our friends, and we also discover friends-of-friends. Facebook messaging  is a good alternative to email, too.
  8. Website Traffic - In 2009 when I focused on Twitter, I  received 7,834 visits from Twitter with average time on site of 2:10 minutes. Not bad. However, in 2010 when I turned my focus to Facebook, I received 5,134 visits with average time on site of 3:07 minutes and a larger number of blog comments. Facebook visitors tend to engage more than do Twitter visitors. That’s better website traffic.
  9. Less Incentivization - Twitter has become very much about follower counts. People typically follow with the expectation of being followed back and unfollow if that doesn’t happen. Fans and friends on Facebook are much more authentic.
  10. Real People - Facebook is mostly used by real people, while Twitter is mostly operated by robotic software called bots.
  11. No 140 Limit - Facebook allows more than 140 characters per status update,  more than a 160 per bio, and more than one website link per account.
  12. Much Greater Membership - I’m more able to find the people with whom I want to connect on Facebook than on Twitter.
  13. Members Visit More Often - Facebook members are said to log into Facebook more often than Twitter members into Twitter.
  14. Easily Manage Multiple Business Accounts - I can manage multiple Facebook business pages without logging out and back in, and without using third-party desktop clients.
  15. Business Pages are Mini-Websites - Facebook business pages are mini-websites with a landing page and additional pages.
  16. Off-site Integration - Like buttons and like boxes extend the reach of Facebook to blogs and other websites outside the Facebook domain.

FacebookI could list many ways in which I find Twitter more useful than Facebook, but I’ll save that comparison for a different occasion.

Please take a second or two to “like” my Facebook page, and a few more to leave a a brief comment. :-)

Sharing is Caring! Use the handy SHARE widget.

Tags: , ,

Comments

It will look like this: Top 16 Reasons I Like Facebook More Than Twitter

22 Responses to “Top 16 Reasons I Like Facebook More Than Twitter”

1. Chrystal on March 13th, 2011 9:58 pm

I love how REAL the connection on Facebook is. It’s so REAL TIME and you can really make a connection. Today, I was at a local hotel having brunch and on the way in, someone behind the front desk recognized me and called out my name.

I did not recognize them at first but then he said he was a Facebook friend. It was cool. He asked about the movie I saw last night and then said how much he loved one of the products of mine he bought.

He was a FB friend first…a customer second and now a friend friend. Pretty awesome tool.

2. Karen Lotter on March 13th, 2011 10:24 pm

All your reasons are very valid Larry. Good article! I certainly spend more time on FB than on Twitter- but for me they are evolving into very different functions - Twitter in more in information network, a news tool and Facebook is more of a socializing and networking tool.

I know one can socialize on twitter and use FB for news and information, but I’m talking about their optimal use.

I think they make a great tag-team for anyone who has website or blog on the web to just someone who wants to work on their online reputation.

3. Jack Goldenberg on March 13th, 2011 11:08 pm

I agree with Karen (as I imagine you do, too) that FB and Twitter serve separate functions. Because Twitter is a microblogging site, it’s a simpler way for me to get a quick snapshot of what people I’m interested in have to say.

FB, of course has much more functionality and it’s an easier way for people I used to know to find me and connect. Your list was helpful as it let me know about many of the ways I should be using FB that I haven’t gotten around to yet.

Jack Goldenberg, Prolific Copywriter

4. Mary on March 13th, 2011 11:24 pm

Great blog as always! I’m looking forward to your insights on Twitter.

5. Jessica @ Delicious Obsessions on March 14th, 2011 9:14 am

I agree! I love that on Facebook, I really get a chance to get to know my readers. On Twitter, it’s really hard to keep a conversation going - the feed is so fast moving that it just gets lost. Even using tools like HootSuite, while it has helped me better manage the account, it still doesn’t give me that really personal connection I like.

Great post!

6. moongoddesslei on March 14th, 2011 11:13 am

7. @EllenZElwell on March 14th, 2011 4:07 pm

I have spent the past year concentrating on building a twitter following of Moms for @LittleRemedies, a client. I don’t use a bot and the roughly 5,000 Followers are about 95% parents. Aside from the viral benefits, I find that I now know this target better than I ever have in 15+ years marketing and promotion for other major brands (e.g., Beech-Nut, Clorox, Baby Orajel, A+D Ointment, Nursery Water, Brainy Baby and more)who have spent millions of $ on qualitative and quantitative research. It provides pretty amazing opportunities for “target watching” and brand purchase motivation.

8. Janice F. Baca on March 15th, 2011 5:14 pm

I have to say I really like Facebook more than twitter as well - for all the reasons you mentioned. But I too can’t give up Twitter for all those who love it.

9. Buddy Hodges on March 16th, 2011 1:25 pm

Thanks, Larry, for so succinctly describing the many advantages of Facebook. One that has stood out for me is that more people actually READ their FB news feeds and their direct messages.

The Twitter stream moves too fast, and most Direct “Messages” are standardized auto-responses for following. I probably miss a few real live messages due to the bots “crying wolf!”

In the land of Overwhelm, we only have time to read Pareto’s vital 20%. I see that your blog is worth reading. I will be following you more closely now.

10. Karin on March 17th, 2011 11:48 am

There is one thing that Twitter does better than any other platform I know and that is find people in real time. To me that is the power of Twitter and very useful if you are an internet marketer.

11. Dowell Taggart Team on March 17th, 2011 10:17 pm

Don’t misunderstand me please. I like Facebook, but Twitter has some exceptional uses for SEO and finding more people of similar interest. I have 20+ list and it helps in managing my friends/followers.

12. Debby Bruck on March 18th, 2011 12:36 am

Really great points, Larry. I have made many good friendships on Twitter and even business collaborations and live meet-ups. I probably spend much more time there and use some third party applications that made the broader experience profitable and more social or educational.

While, I’m slowly learning more about Facebook and realize from this blog the high quality of statistics and ease in finding people, keeping private conversations, another type of list-making tool, and functionality. Each have their pros and cons and can be used for different purposes.

I do love the ability to quickly flash news items, although we can now do this with Facebook, too. Who knows, I may move more energy to Facebook in the long run?

Let’s heal the earth. Love, Debby

13. goldmap on March 24th, 2011 9:12 pm

So do I. we could get or share info with no limit of characters, make fan pages, and I love the games on Facebook. :)

14. Cherry Rahtu on March 28th, 2011 6:35 am

I prefer Facebook in terms of building close and intimate relationship. I prefer Twitter in terms of news, research and monitoring, following celebrities :) How about LinkedIn, Larry?

15. Jennie on March 28th, 2011 9:17 am

16. John on March 28th, 2011 3:15 pm

At the moment it is Facebook and Twitter, but what will be next year? Also most companies now do social media as it is fashionable, but for how long?

17. Raj Patel on April 5th, 2011 11:59 pm

Larry, I agree with all 16 points. When you get traffic from people clicking on the link in your tweet, it is not very targeted traffic and does not lead to a meaningful relationship in most cases.Facebook is way better. Twitter only has Facebook’s “status update” feature.. Only that.

18. Ellen @ Uniform Shop on April 6th, 2011 1:11 am

I would have to agree with all 16 reasons you pointed out but there are also times when it’s better to use Twitter than FB. I believe they are actually better combined, used the social media suited for whatever you want at that moment. And like John said, it’s a tag between Twitter and FB today but even social media evolves so fast so we never really know what will be of use next year. Btw, I will be waiting for your list on ways in which you find Twitter more useful than Facebook.

19. takip on April 14th, 2011 4:45 am

Simply, there is a wider range of opportunities on Facebook compared to Twitter. While, I’m slowly learning more about Facebook and realize from this blog the high quality of statistics and ease in finding people, keeping conversations private, another type of list-making tool, and functionality. Each have their pros and cons and can be used for different purposes.

20. takip sistemi on April 18th, 2011 5:08 am

I would have to agree with all 16 reasons you pointed out but there are also times when it’s better to use Twitter than Facebook. I believe they are actually better combined

21. Robert D Watkins on April 20th, 2011 12:34 pm

Larry, I too have seen that your #9 reason (increasing follower counts i.e. incentivization) has become much of the driving force behind Twitter and why it is lagging behind Facebook as a truly interactive place to engage. I have a tendency to get a bit caught up in the race and not in what awaits at the finish line.

I think human nature has a bit to blame for this proclivity but, Twitter does seem to exploit it more than Facebook does. That being the case, maybe a hard look at the incentive’s of each new network we join should be scrutinized based on similar criteria. We should ask, what human weakness does the host exploit and to what end.

I think this may provide a clearer decision point when joining social networks.

22. Accepting Friends on Facebook vs. LinkedIn Networking Sites | Online Social Networking on July 31st, 2011 10:36 pm

[…] Facebook is a social website intended primarily for social networking. Regarding accepting friends on Facebook, whether using Facebook for business networking or social networking, the best approach is clearly to be selective,  because of both privacy concerns and the 5,000 Facebook friend limit. […]