Larry BraunerI once heard the following joke:

Q - How do you get rich online?
A - First you get rich; then you go online.

Now, I’ll re-purpose this joke for Facebook.

Q - How do you get lots of fans for your Facebook page?
A - First you get lots of fans; then you get your fans to “like” your Facebook page.

FacebookUnfortunately, these silly jokes are only partially jest. There’s truth in both of them. Getting rich online or creating a Facebook fan base from scratch are both very difficult objectives to accomplish.

Creating a Facebook fan base from scratch is precisely what bullet #6 was alluding to in 7 Issues to Consider About Doing Business on Facebook:

Facebook fan pages are more useful for marketing large businesses than small ones, since they won’t help to build your web presence unless, to some degree, you already have a web presence.”

Large businesses come to Facebook with lots of people who are already loyal to their brands and lots of traffic to their websites. Once their fans “like” their Facebook pages, critical mass is achieved, and their Facebook pages grow exponentially, virally attracting new fans.

If you’re finding it difficult to grow your Facebook fan base from scratch, become neither alarmed nor discouraged. It is difficult but achievable. In an upcoming article, I’ll provide you with a few ideas that may help you create your fan base, even out of thin air.

Sharing is Caring! Please use the SHARE widget.

Tags: ,

Comments

It will look like this: Trying to Grow Your Facebook Fan Base from Scratch?

17 Responses to “Trying to Grow Your Facebook Fan Base from Scratch?”

1. Chayim Lando on November 9th, 2010 12:17 am

You stated the issues very clearly. I look forward to your suggestions as to how to deal with it.

2. Martyn Hodgson on November 9th, 2010 4:36 am

What I think is great is that you practice what you preach - you’ve built 5,000 friends and now 2,000+ have liked your page with hundreds on your blog feed.

It’s the rolling snowball effect - something I’m working towards and why I so enjoy following your posts.

Interested in reading and commenting on your next post.

3. Thyme2dream on November 9th, 2010 10:34 am

Some very good points in this and the previous article- thanks! With my particular business- even though its in the small- Facebook has really helped to give cohesion to the presence I do have- a place to send everyone and a great way to keep customers up to date on new products.

I use it as a sort of mailing list.

Because our business is two pronged, online and conducted at fairs and festivals around the country, it helps to have a place to send people who connect at a show, to keep them coming back for more throughout the year.

4. Chuck Bartok on November 9th, 2010 12:09 pm

Good Points Larry.

It is always a good idea to ASK other for help.

If using Facebook properly one will find many to help YOU build your Page.

I am surprised however, how few seem to utilize the discussion Section and promote discussions

5. Colleen Dick on November 9th, 2010 12:31 pm

How do you make $1,000,000 in the music business? Start with $2,000,000.

Honestly if you already have a strong web presence what do you need a FB fan page for? And as you’ve said, if you don’t, your FB fan page is just gonna sit there.

6. Larry Brauner on November 9th, 2010 3:41 pm

@Chayim @Martyn @Thyme2dream Thank you.

@Chuck What I don’t like about the Discussion Tab is that it doesn’t get into the News Feed and that administrators aren’t notified of new topics.

@Colleen If you have a strong web presence, you can use Facebook pages to grow it more and as a platform for conversations with your stakeholders.

7. Gera on November 9th, 2010 5:12 pm

So true Larry this concept can be applied to A-list bloggers that open a new blog and they have instantly have thousands of subscribers in few days, Facebook is the same.

Cheers,

Gera

8. Larry Brauner on November 9th, 2010 5:49 pm

Good point, Gera. Hope your health is much netter.

9. Jane Austin on November 10th, 2010 5:07 am

Looking forward to seeing your suggestions for how to grow your fan base. I guess consistency will be one of the keys, like blogging you have to keep showing up so people know to find you.

10. Gilberto Cintron on November 10th, 2010 12:39 pm

This great information. Since I do want to grow my fan base from scratch I will be following you very closely. After all, they say to be successful do what the successful do.

Thanks Larry; you’ll be seeing me around.

Gilberto

11. Larry Brauner on November 10th, 2010 12:48 pm

@Jane Thank you.

@Gilberto I just became your first Facebook fan. Now your under pressure to deliver. :-P

12. Sebastian on November 11th, 2010 3:39 pm

I am looking forward to the article on how to grow your Facebook fan page.

Thanks :)

13. Duni on November 12th, 2010 5:30 am

Thanks for posting this, Larry. I suspected as much :(

I haven’t had much response to my discussions simply because new topics do not show up anywhere.

I was wondering if placing an ad might help or is that money down the drain?

Thanks.

14. Larry Brauner on November 12th, 2010 11:27 am

Try asking questions as plain status updates without links. Read my article about the Facebook ranking system, How Facebook EdgeRank Affects Your Visibility.

Also, make the font larger on your Welcome tab and include pictures of some of your most popular products to make the page more appealing to your target audience.

I don’t recommend ads. Be on the lookout for more articles on growing your Facebook page.

Thank you Duni.

15. Duni on November 12th, 2010 12:58 pm

Good evening Larry!

Wow - thank you for responding so quickly AND becoming a fan of my page! I really appreciate it :)

I will look into those things first thing tomorrow!

Duni

16. John W. Furst on November 12th, 2010 8:43 pm

At first I laughed about the jokes. Then … I think you are right … a lot of little guys are tampering with Facebook and get nowhere.

Yours
    John

17. Larry Brauner on November 14th, 2010 11:47 am

Thanks John. I just finished writing and publishing, Top 10 Ways to Get Facebook Page Fans. It reveals everything I do to grow my Facebook page fan base.