“You will not create more than one personal profile.”
These Facebook users usually create one personal profile for family, friends and acquaintances, and another personal profile for business associates and prospects.
The word personal in “personal profile” is easily misunderstood and deserves clarification.
Personal Profile vs. Business Page
A Facebook personal profile is a friend page, and Facebook prohibits creating more than one friend page for yourself.
With a Facebook business page you brand your business and attract people who “like” your page.
A Facebook business page is a fan page, and Facebook permits creating more than one fan page for your business, although that might not be practical.
If You Have More Than One Facebook Personal Profile
If you find yourself in the predicament of having more than one Facebook personal profile, my recommendation here in six steps is very similar to my advice in last week’s OMG! I Can’t Use My Facebook Personal Profile for Business:
- Create a Facebook business page as soon as possible. Either How to Create a Facebook Fan Page or How To Set Up a Facebook Fan Page can help you to get started. Let me know if you need my help.
- If you have no more than a few hundred business friends on the Facebook personal profile you’re using for business, send each of them a private message explaining your situation and inviting them to “like” your new Facebook page. If you have too many business friends for this to be feasible, limit the procedure to your most important business friends.
- To avoid raising red flags with Facebook, don’t send more than 20 to 30 messages per day, don’t fire off messages rapidly and don’t merely cut and paste an identical script.
- Don’t say or imply that you’ll be deleting friends or threaten to remove them if they don’t comply. Such an approach is likely to backfire. Be courteous and professional.
- Read Why Should I Like Your Facebook Page? and Top 10 Ways to Get Facebook Page Fans for ideas to market and grow your new Facebook page.
- When most of your business friends have migrated to your new fan page, delete the extra Facebook personal profile you were using for business and breathe a sigh of relief.
6/14/11 Update: Facebook now provides a tool to convert a Facebook profile to a Facebook business page.
Best of luck with your Facebook business page!
|Did you enjoy this article? Subscribe to my RSS feed or by e-mail. Visit my About, Services, Media Buzz and Connect pages to learn about Building Your Audience and Brand on the Web. See also my Disclosure Policy regarding affiliations and compensation.|
|Sharing is Caring! Use the handy SHARE widget.|